Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
ted
Novice
Liked: never

DR Test

Post by ted »

Hi,

If I'm using Veeam to replicate between two ESXi 4.1 clusters in two different sites (live and DR) and I go to implement a DR test that breaks the link between the sites and then bring the VMs on line. Why would i use this more manual method http://www.veeam.com/forums/viewtopic.p ... 941#p10941 instead of just going to the Veeam GUI and selecting test failover?

Also, I have located the Veeam server in the DR site will this still use the CBT feature?

Thanks
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: DR Test

Post by Gostev »

Hi,

If your DR site is isolated from production, then sure, you can do that. Manual is for the cases when DR site is not isolated, and allows to change replica network settings before powering it on.

Yes, CBT will work no matter of Veeam Backup server placement.

Thanks.
ted
Novice

Post by ted »

Excellent, good to hear that. Also, I have my Veeam server located in the DR site (this was recommended from a question i posted previously :) ) but I'm just wondering will the replication cause a big overhead on the management interfaces of my ESXi hosts? Is there any specific recommendations around this?

Thanks
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Don't worry about this, your WAN link will be the primary (by far) bottleneck. Besides, even local replication over 1Gb LAN is not reported to cause any issues on management interface.
ted
Novice

Post by ted »

WAN link should soon be 1Gbs link with the intention of using continuous replication to keep RPO under 30mins if possible. Thanks for the info and quick responses.