DR Testing / SureBackup vs. Replication Failovers....

Availability for the Always-On Enterprise

Re: DR Testing / SureBackup vs. Replication Failovers....

Veeam Logoby foggy » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:44 pm

lando_uk wrote:Even if its on different VLANS than the original and half the repositories/proxies on the site that's gone up in flames would be missing?

At least those containing backups you will be restoring from will be available. And this is all you'd need.

lando_uk wrote:I was also planning to run some replicas jobs on this cold standby, or should I have another VRB instance purely for reps?

Making it responsible for replication jobs will allow you to perform immediate automatic failover right from Veeam B&R console.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1133 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Veeam Logoby lando_uk » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:12 pm

I don't replicate everything, just the big VMs that take ages to restore. So in the event of DR, rather then restoring the config DB, I can use this rep only server to import the offsite jobs into, ready for restoring those VMs that I'm not replicating, So back to the original question, do I map and import during the DR and make it part of the process, or constantly have those offsites imported and ready to roll?
lando_uk
Expert

Liked: 18 times
Full Name: Mark

Veeam Logoby foggy » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:18 pm

Totally up to you. ;) Do what you're most comfortable with, I don't think a few extra mouse clicks in case of DR will cost you much. In the second case, you'd still better rescan the repository prior to restoring, since the most recent restore points might be created after the latest automatic rescan would occur.
foggy
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby lando_uk » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:32 pm

So does it periodically scan manually imported repositories automatically? So there's no issues with 2 different instances of VRB tracking the same bunch of files?
lando_uk
Expert

Veeam Logoby foggy » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:37 pm

Yes, there are periodic automatic rescans. Provided your second instance just reads the repository contents, there should not be any issues.
foggy
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby lando_uk » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:01 am

Hi

I've imported the offsite jobs into the 2nd DR instance, via the Import Backup task. But they didn't update automatically with the latest restore points and I see no option to manually refresh. Rather that importing, do I actually need to add these offsite repositories into the DR instance as new repositories?
lando_uk
Expert

Veeam Logoby foggy » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:07 am

You can try to create the repository for that location and rescan it. If this doesn't help, please ask support for assistance.
foggy
Veeam Software

Previous

Return to Veeam Backup & Replication