Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
ash_wpa
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Ash Cox

Encrypted Backup Files - Synthetic Full Error

Post by ash_wpa »

I have a backup job that encrypts a file to the first backup server repository. This backup is then copied to the remote site in "Backup Copy" function and also encrypted in the secondary target.

I am getting this error on the backup copy:

07/04/2015 20:16:55 :: Failed to merge full backup file. Terminated at 4/7/2015 8:18:29 PM

07/04/2015 20:17:09 :: Failed to create synthetic full restore point 4/5/2015 7:00:00 PM

07/04/2015 20:18:30 :: Failed to generate points Error: Attempted to compress encrypted data-block.

Am I doing something wrong? Once the first backup is encrypted are all the bits that follow after already encrypted by inheritance from this job meaning I should not attempt to encrypt again at the secondary target?

What about taking secondary target to Tape - will that inherit encryption or is each step along the way needing encryption turned on?

Thanks. Loving Veeam so much! 8)
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Encrypted Backup Files - Synthetic Full Error

Post by foggy »

Ash, what Veeam B&R version are you running? Do you have Veeam B&R v8 patch 1 installed? Is there a chance that you've changed the default compression level? Anyway, please contact technical support directly to investigate the reason and provide your case ID here for reference. Thanks.
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

Hello Ash,
By the way, what is the reason to use encryption at every step?
Once you encrypted backup files, they are protected.
Thanks.
ash_wpa
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Ash Cox

Post by ash_wpa »

Hi, I will apply Patch 1 asap.

I have encryption box ticked at each job - the first backup job and then the separate backup copy job also has the tick box for encryption.

Just so 100% accurate, I tick the box to encrypt the first job only - no need to encrypt flag the backup copy too?

Many thanks for the replies.
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

Ash,
I`ve double-checked it with the dev. team. Actually you should enable encryption for backup copy jobs, since VBR decrypts backup files from source jobs and if you want them to be protected, you need to turn encryption on.
Sorry for misleading.
Thanks.