Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
bunger
Expert
Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Bill Unger

Encryption: Veeam or Bitlocker?

Post by bunger »

I have a requirement that my backups need to be encrypted.

My backup storage device is a direct-attached-storage unit ( SAS ) and my backup server is 2012 Standard.

To encrypt the backups, I could either enable Bitlocker on the DAS drive - OR - enable encryption within Veeam itself and leave the DAS unencrypted. I am having a hard time deciding which route to take.

Bit locker would preserve the full storage space on the DAS and should be transparent, but if I ever detach the DAS and move it to something else for recovery, I am going to run into issues as it will be encrypted.

Veeam would allow the DAS to stay unencrypted, so I could move it if needed, but I am thinking the size of encrypted backup files will be larger than if they were not encrypted. Is that a correct assumption?

Which would be the preferred route for this solution?

Thanks in advance!!
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Encryption: Veeam or Bitlocker?

Post by veremin »

Veeam would allow the DAS to stay unencrypted, so I could move it if needed, but I am thinking the size of encrypted backup files will be larger than if they were not encrypted. Is that a correct assumption?
The difference in backup sizes should be negligible. There is nothing preventing you from running test backup to confirm it, though. Thanks.
bunger
Expert
Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Bill Unger

Post by bunger »

Thanks!
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

You're welcome. Should other help be needed, don't hesitate to ask. Thanks.