Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
homerjnick
Expert
Liked: 35 times
Full Name: Nick Mahlitz

Enterprise Manager - Access Denied on Data Collection

Post by homerjnick »

Before I open a support case I wondered if anyone knows what is causing this?

I recently took my Veeam B&R 8.0 Update 3 server off our domain after an incident with Cryptowall to protect even further our backup data.

I reconfigured the B&R server with a local account and all is well with backups/replication.

Enterprise Manager is fine as well as it sees all jobs etc except there is a red cross under "Backup Server" and when I go to start Data Collection it reports back:

Code: Select all

TimeTypeInformation
14/12/2015 12:23:11SuccessStarting data collection job...
14/12/2015 12:23:11SuccessJob successfully started.
14/12/2015 12:23:11SuccessRetrieving data from 172.28.20.49...
14/12/2015 12:23:11ErrorData collection from 172.28.20.49 failed.
14/12/2015 12:23:12ErrorAccess denied.
14/12/2015 12:23:12ErrorData collection job finished.
The only option you can do in Configuration for your Backup Server in Enterprise Manager is add it via DNS/IP and credentials where I've used both DNS and IP and the new local account I created, which is an admin on the server.

It adds the server fine and I seem to have nearly everything in EM barring reports.

What is causing the Access Denied? What else do I need to change?

EDIT: Curious, I removed the server and attempted to re-add it and get the Access Denied....hmmmmmmm....
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Enterprise Manager - Access Denied on Data Collection

Post by foggy »

Nick, I'd contact support for the most effective troubleshooting. Most likely old account is still used somewhere.

Btw, have you checked whether the local account has Veeam Backup Administrator role on the backup server?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

I bet if you stop Veeam backup services on your backup server, they would also fail to start. Check if this account is locked or not.
homerjnick
Expert

Post by homerjnick »

Vitaliy S. wrote:I bet if you stop Veeam backup services on your backup server, they would also fail to start. Check if this account is locked or not.
No they start fine...everything is fine on the B&R Server, which is the same server that runs EM! I just can't add the B&R server to EM which is ironic given that its the same server!
foggy wrote:Btw, have you checked whether the local account has Veeam Backup Administrator role on the backup server?
Yeah it does as B&R and EM are on the same server.
nefes
Veeam Software
Liked: 162 times
Full Name: Nikita Efes

Post by nefes »

Any chance that you use local account, that is added to Adminnistrators group?
If so, could you please try to add this user (or any non-builtin group with him) as Administrator in VBR Users and Roles?
homerjnick
Expert

Post by homerjnick »

Ah now then it is indeed part of the Administrators group and therefore I never specified the account specifically in Veeam under Users and Roles since the Administrators group is already there...I'll try that.

EDIT...specificed my new local account specifically in Veeam under Users and Roles as a Veeam Backup Administrator and restarted services and added it to EM fine...so thanks for that.

Curious as to why being part of the Administrators group never picked it up though, is that by design?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

No, that's not by design, that's a known issue for now, which can be observed only under certain conditions (UAC enabled etc.) and it seems like you've run into it.