Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Philipp_
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Philipp

Enterprise Manager Feature Request

Post by Philipp_ »

With Veeam B&R 10 the "Overwrite" or "Keep" Options were included into the 1-Click Restore for Virtual Machines in the Enterprise Manager.
While having this Option is generally a good idea, we would like to control which role has to right to select the "Keep" Option (since selection this will generate a new VM, which could have unwanted impact on our production environment).
We would like to see an option similar to the one which is implemented in the Guestfile Restore case where the administrator can control whether the "Role" has the right to restore files in-place only, or select a new location for the file.

Thanks in advance and take care,
Philipp
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Enterprise Manager Feature Request

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
and welcome to the forums.

Thank you for the request. In Veeam we try to keep the user interface as easy to use as possible. Could you maybe explain what kind of situation you have, that you have administrators that are allowed to restore VMs, but do not have the knowledge to avoid unwanted impact on production?

Best regards,
Hannes
Philipp_
Novice

Post by Philipp_ »

Hello Hannes,

in our environment the Server-Administrators use the Enterprise-Manager to restore the VMs they are responsible for. These Admins are no ESXi admins (we have a separate Team for this).
Because of this we don't want to give the Server-Administrators the ability to register new VMs on the ESXi infrastructure, but we want to give them the ability to restore their own VMs if needed.
Because of this i would like to have the ability to limit the rights of the Server-Administrators in the way, that they are only able to restore VMs in place, without registering a new VM.

I hope this clarified my request. If not feel free to ask!
Best regards,
Philipp
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

Hi Philipp,
thanks, that explained it very well.

Take your request as noted.

Best regards,
Hannes
Philipp_
Novice

Post by Philipp_ »

Hello Hannes,

thanks for the quick reply.
Best regards,
Philipp
skraack
Lurker
Full Name: Steve Kraack

Post by skraack »

I found this while searching for a related issue. We just had a customer who uses Enterprise Manager request roles for this feature as well. Background is they had a junior Admin restore and select overwrite, causing current-day-since-last-backup data loss when they restored. They want the default to be Keep, creating a new VM and only privileged users can overwrite.

Any chance we could see this as an option as well?
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
and welcome to the forum. As for now I cannot give an estimation on these options.

As for now I recommend to not give such people restore permissions.

Best regards,
Hannes