Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
ConradGoodman
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Conrad Goodman

Enterprise Manager Migration: Keyset not working.

Post by ConradGoodman »

In my lab environment, I am testing the process of:

Build a fresh VBR server

Migrate EM database from existing server and attach to SQL express

Install EM on new VBR server, re-using database from existing EM server, accepting warning about re-using configuration DB.

Everything works, having updated the DNS name of the VBR server in EM.

If I check the portability of Managed Keys under Settings -> Key Management - > Managed Keys -> Export, I get an exception.

[debug logs removed per forum rules]

This kbid: https://www.veeam.com/kb1889 is not very helpful for migrating EM, because it states "Note: This section describes how to move the Enterprise Manager (EM) database to a different SQL if the EM is installed separately from the Backup & Replication." but it doesn't state how to do it if you are just installing EM again on an all in one server with VBR and SQL Express.

It also mentions nothing about key management.

Why has this happened, rendering my keyset unusable? Should the advice be to backup/export the keyset and then import it on the newly installed VBR/EM server? If so where is this found in documentation?
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: Enterprise Manager Migration: Keyset not working.

Post by PetrM »

Hello Conrad,

1. Please provide the support case id. The forum posts about technical issues without case id will be eventually removed by forum moderator.

2. A similar issue is described in this KB and in release notes (page 20): encryption keys which are stored in the database are encrypted with machine-specific private key and the new server will not be able to decrypt such information if it's connected to the existing database. The best way is to let our support team to analyze the database and to come up with an appropriate action plan: which information must be re-supplied manually to work around the issue.

Thanks!
ConradGoodman
Enthusiast

Post by ConradGoodman »

I haven't raised a support ticket, as I'm doing this in a lab before I do it in production.

So what are the actual steps to migrate EM from an all in one VBR +EM install with local SQL express, to a new all in one VBR +EM install with local sql express?

I cannot find any KBID for doing this and so just hashed it together from https://www.veeam.com/kb1889; which only gives migration instructions for moving an EM database to a different SQL server.
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Post by PetrM »

I think you should export a keyset before EM migration and import it once migration is done: the procedure is described here.

Thanks!
ConradGoodman
Enthusiast

Post by ConradGoodman »

OK Thanks Peter, I will raise a support ticket now with this scenario, as I'm still not seeing any exact instructions for what should be a very common scenario.
ConradGoodman
Enthusiast

Post by ConradGoodman » 1 person likes this post

Case # 04321269