Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
backupquestions
Expert
Liked: 21 times
Full Name: Alabaster McJenkins

Enterprise manager restore point selections

Post by backupquestions »

So I have Enterprise license. I set up the Enterprise manager and have it configured for 3 months retention on the guest indexes.

My main backup job has only 14 days retention. So in the enterprise manager you can still go back and look at restore points for 3 months, and yet none of these backups exist as they have rolled out of retention, so it is a little confusing to people who use the manager to perform restores. We don't take tape backups so they are not archived.

I am however using SOBR with cloud tiering, and will have several GFS points for file servers out there. 4 weekly/12 monthly/7 yearly... So I guess what I'm wanting to know is, will these offloaded restore points still show up in the enterprise manager and will I be able to see them indexed, and then if I try to perform a restore, Veeam will have no issue grabbing the data from cloud tier etc? How will we even really know what actual restore points do exist in cloud tier as far as what actual days/times they would be? From Enterprise manager it seems like there isn't a good way to tell. I would have to use the actual Veeam console and browse to the restore points, find an old point from the copy job, and then call the help desk and give them the date/time so they can restore from EM?

I'm trying to get a setup where the help desk people who will use Enterprise Manager will not be so confused with lots of restore days/points that don't even exist, and yet I need it to keep the full history so that it does catch the offloaded GFS points that DO exist. (if it even does this)
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Enterprise manager restore point selections

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
yes, that indexing was built at a time with different purposes (3rd party software writing backups to tape).
Veeam will have no issue grabbing the data from cloud tier etc?
correct. No issues. Even without index. Many customers don't use indexing at all. If they use it, then mostly for file-servers with end-user restore requests.
How will we even really know what actual restore points do exist in cloud tier
Not from the index :-) It's in the VBR database. Keep in mind that backup files are self containing and indexing is not a requirement. It's "just" for search.
I would have to use the actual Veeam console and browse to the restore points
You can click on "mount" in Enterprise manager.

So my only question is: do you really use the index for search, or just for "display data"? If only second, then I would deactivate indexing to avoid the confusion.

Best regards,
Hannes