Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
mickexzy
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Mikael Sjölund

Enterprise Manager shows licences exceeded [feature request]

Post by mickexzy »

We have Veeam B&R replication licensed for 8 of our Vmware hosts and that works perfectly fine (2 CPU's per host= 16 licensed CPU's) The hosts not licensed for Veeam runs systems that don't need to be backed up in this way, they can be recreated from templates instead.

Looking in Enterprise Manager dashboard, it says "WARNING: License limit of 16 CPU sockets is exceeded by 34. View details". View details send me to Configuration -> Licensing where it lists all my Vmware hosts and shows 8 of them as licensed but the remaining 17 as unlicensed. This is perfectly correct since we are using Veeam B&R only on 8 hosts.
In Veeam B&R Help -> License, it shows my licensed hosts properly. I have no jobs running on other hosts than those 8 I intends to use.
The only issue is the warning in Enterprise Manager web interface and since we plan to show this dashboard on a TV screen, this error makes it looking "ugly" like as if we runs it unlicensed. Is there something to do to get rid of this warning message?

According to Veeam support this is by (current) design, but I don't agree that this design is perfect. Some possibility to improve this in future versions? Or may some workaround anyway exist?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Enterprise Manager shows licences exceeded [feature requ

Post by foggy »

Mikael, seems that there're no workarounds currently, but your request makes sense, thanks for the feedback.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

mickexzy wrote:View details send me to Configuration -> Licensing where it lists all my Vmware hosts and shows 8 of them as licensed but the remaining 17 as unlicensed.
Btw, could you please provide a screenshot of that window? Thanks!
DaveWatkins
Veteran
Liked: 97 times

Post by DaveWatkins » 1 person likes this post

I'm betting EM is looking at the licensed_hosts table in B&R's SQL and it's got every host that's ever been licensed. EM doesn't exclude the old hosts that have since been unlicensed. I had exactly the same issue and just ended up clearing out that table of all old hosts myself, since I had a ticket open for 4 or 5 days with limited useful feedback and just wanted it fixed so I could carry on. It's an EM bug when it queries that table it's obviously missing a WHERE clause to limit the returned hosts to only those currently set as licensed
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Thanks, Dave. That's valuable.
Silviu
Novice
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: SV

Re: Enterprise Manager shows licences exceeded [feature request]

Post by Silviu »

Hello everyone,

I found that thread and I'm in the same situation. I'm a reseller of VB&R for about 30 customers and Gold Partner. With VEEAM Enterprise Manager, we planned to monitor all Backups in one place to be shown on a TV. I disabled in registry the "Push license" feature, it works. We almost finished but we've error messages...

Top left corner :

Dashboard, status :

VEEAM EM is clearly what we need ! It just need to implement the case where multiple customers with different licenses are monitored. I think we're not alone is this case.

Regards,

SV
foggy
Veeam Software

Re: Enterprise Manager shows licences exceeded [feature request]

Post by foggy »

Your case looks different, since it is a multi-tenant environment and you're acting as a service provider. Haven't you considered to use Veeam Availability Console instead?