Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
StanO
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Stan

Error upgrading to v7 - configuration data is corrupt

Post by StanO »

Veeam Support - Case # 00457108 - Apologies for not including this the last time I posted - my forum login timed out the first time I entered this post and I neglected to re-add this tidbit after entering it a second time. Hopefully the third time is a charm.

I am encountering an error when attempting to upgrade our VBR Backup Server to 7.0. The Enterprise Manager server upgraded without incident, however when running setup.exe from the downloaded installer I receive the following error message in a popup dialog:
Exception occurred.
Info: System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception (0x80004005):
The configuration data for this product is corrupt. Contact your
support personnel
at VmManagedSetupLib.VmMsiCommon.EnumComponents()
at
SetupWizard.VmExistingProductsDetector.DetectAndCheckDowng
rade()
at SetupWizard.VmWizardEngine..ctor(String strConfigFile,
String strSerializeGuid, Boolean&bRunWizard)
at SetupWizard.Program.RunWizard()
This message appears after clicking on Upgrade on the initial splash screen but before any other windows appear aside from a small Please wait... and small spinning circle window (not even a chance to accept the EULA before failure).

I have tried uninstalling all previously installed Veeam components (though leaving the SQL Server 2005 Express instance installed) and encounter the same behavior. I've also tried downloading another copy of the installation kit and experience the same problem with it. The application event log shows event ids 11707 and 1033 are generated during the time product installer front-end is running for the following items:
Veeam Backup Catalog
Veeam Backup & Replication
Veeam Explorer for Exchange
Veeam Explorer for SharePoint
HP StoreServ Plug-in
HP StoreVirtual Plug-in
Veeam Backup & Replication PowerShell SDK

These event ids indicate the product/component installed successfully, though this is not at all the case (and the installation dialogs associated with the components never appeared).

Has anybody else encountered this issue and found resolution or can any guidance be offered aside from performing a fresh installation of Windows to resolve the issue?

Thanks,

Stan
daper
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: never
Full Name: Daniel Persson

Re: Error upgrading to v7 - configuration data is corrupt

Post by daper »

Hi,

I have the exactly the same problem. No case logged with veeam yet. I'll try to clean up the server a bit during the day and see if that solves the problem.

Regards
Daniel
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

No one so far has reported similar issues; so, please, keep working with the support team on this. Thanks.
daper
Veeam ProPartner
Full Name: Daniel Persson

Post by daper »

Hi,

I suspect that this have something to do with our C: partion only being 40gb. The installation change variables to store things at D:

We will try to extend C: or clean up more free space. Current free space is 14gb of 40gb

Will contact support also.

BRgds
Daniel
StanO
Enthusiast

Post by StanO » 1 person likes this post

Daniel:

It's my opinion that 14GB is sufficient to perform the upgrade, though using the D drive for a portion of your implementation may be relevant as we also utilize the D drive for a portion of our installation (vPower NFS component).

I've found a potential work-around, but it may result in an unsupported environment, so I'll wait to share it until I've done more testing and more clarity is achieved.

Please do log a case with Support.

Thanks,

Stan
StanO
Enthusiast

Post by StanO »

Daniel:

If you're trying to upgrade to the v7 version by extracting the contents of the .iso, this could be a contributing factor. Have you tried installing from a DVD created by burning the .iso to disc?

Thanks,

Stan
DavidGulli
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: David Gulli

Post by DavidGulli »

Hi,

Did you ever solve this problem? Im experiencing it myself, both from CD and from extracting the ISO...
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

David, from the case provided above I can see that the issue was solved, however there are no details of the actual solution given, so I need to check with support guy on that. Will update the thread shortly. You can however, open your own case, probably you can get the answer faster than me. ;)
StanO
Enthusiast

Post by StanO » 2 people like this post

Sorry for not closing the loop on this.

In the end the resolution ended up being installing the individual components from the .msi files rather than using the master installer executable. I delayed in following up here because I suggested this in my initial conversation with the Tier 1 guy and he told me doing so would result in an unsupported configuration (do a fresh install was the extent of the support I received at that point). Once I requested the case be escalated, a Tier 2 guy explained that it was a known issue (with a specific version of the Visual C++ runtime, I believe), started a remote session and proceeded to execute individual msi package installations. I don't recall the order he installed the packages, but he did do some configuration within the Veeam interface between package installations. I suspect the order is close to what was listed in the log file I tracked down prior to having the case escalated:

Code: Select all

[19:14:57:426]: ConfigurationParser: found new product Veeam Backup Catalog
[19:14:57:442]: ConfigurationParser: found new product Veeam Backup & Replication
[19:14:57:458]: ConfigurationParser: found new product Veeam Explorer for Exchange
[19:14:57:458]: ConfigurationParser: found new product Veeam Explorer for SharePoint
[19:14:57:458]: ConfigurationParser: found new product HP StoreServ Plug-in
[19:14:57:458]: ConfigurationParser: found new product HP StoreVirtual Plug-in
[19:14:57:473]: ConfigurationParser: found new product Veeam Backup & Replication Powershell SDK
I recommend logging a case and requesting to have it escalated at the first sign of tier 1 apathy.

Stan
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Thanks for sharing, Stan. However, indeed, the best way to address this is contacting support directly.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6646 times

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

StanO wrote:I recommend logging a case and requesting to have it escalated at the first sign of tier 1 apathy.
This recipe made my day :D
Know how to cook Veeam!
mipsa
Lurker
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Mario

Post by mipsa » 1 person likes this post

I'm happy to say that I found a way to install/upgrade to version 7.. After few hours of digging :mrgreen:
I use Windows 7 Pro, 64-bit version. It think the problem is lying in Veeam setup.exe file, something is wrong with it.
After unzipping .iso file, tried to start setup directly, went into unzipped folder \Backup and double clicked to BU_x64.msi and figured out that is setup starter for Veeam Backup Free.

First you must install prerequisites for successful installation of Veeam Backup:

1. Install new instance of Microsoft® SQL Server® 2012 Express to your system
- ENU\x64\SQLEXPR_x64_ENU.exe (downloaded from http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download ... x?id=29062 )

2. Two packages from Feature Pack for MS SQL Server 2012:
- ENU\x64\SQLSysClrTypes.msi
- ENU\x64\SharedManagementObjects.msi
(download from http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download ... x?id=35580 )

3. Now you can start setup with BU_x64.msi file...

Hope I helped someone.
Cheers, people! :wink:
JohnGG
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: John G

Post by JohnGG »

Im trying to do an new install on a server and im getting this error. Im using veeam V7 and i have tried the above steps but still get this error. Is there a way a round this? It also installed on my workstation fine but not the server i intend to use with the paid version of Veeam BU&Rep.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

John, please contact technical support directly to get assistance in resolving this error. Thanks.
JohnGG
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: John G

Post by JohnGG »

No worries mate, i will wait until we have purchased it and i have moved all the vm disks (C: drives) back to a freshly formatted 8 meg block size as it could be a few days away at this stage as they are all production and time is limited.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Just be aware that we do provide support to everybody on an official evaluation period, so no need to wait until the actual purchase to contact them.
jonrstacey
Lurker
Full Name: Jon Stacey

Post by jonrstacey »

I was getting error upgrading.
I use old SAN for onsite backups and external USB Hard Drives for offsite.
For offsite external USB hard disk backups that I rotate through every 6 weeks, I map the virtual volume to drive letter N: that I setup and encrypt, veeam complains everytime I disconnect this volume to swap drives.

I had removed the virtual volume to swap/rotate hard disk and thought I would not create virtual volume until after upgrade.
During swap, I did plug my usb hard disk into usb caddies and turn power on which auto mapped virtual volume to d: drive locking volume with encryption.

Short story, I deleted the old virtual volume for offsite backups and setup my virtual volume and mapped to N, tried install again and installed without errors.