Availability for the Always-On Enterprise
Post Reply
hasayeretFMG
Enthusiast
Posts: 37
Liked: 1 time
Joined: Jun 16, 2017 1:18 pm
Full Name: Rotem Ben
Contact:

Error while installing the Veeam console on a workstation

Post by hasayeretFMG » Aug 07, 2017 6:43 pm

Hi guys,

I'm getting "Not all privileges or groups referenced are assigned to the caller" when I'm installing the console on my computer.
In fact, I was able to install it on my computer but when I'm trying to log into the remote server, it asks me to install update 2 and that's the message I am getting.
I'm trying to run the installation as an administrator.

Thoughts?

Dima P.
Veeam Software
Posts: 8401
Liked: 614 times
Joined: Feb 04, 2013 2:07 pm
Full Name: Dmitry Popov
Location: Prague
Contact:

Re: Error while installing the Veeam console on a workstatio

Post by Dima P. » Aug 08, 2017 1:48 pm

Hi hasayeretFMG,

Googling gives the following article as a resolution of this issue. Can you try the steps described below?
Im not sure why but the admin account didn't have ownership of the program files File. this was causing a problem when installing the SQL Server 2008 R2. Here are the steps that ultimately fixed my issue:
1. Change UAC settings to NEVER NOTIFY
2. Reboot
3. Take Ownership of the Program Files with the admin accoun: Right click Program File --> Properties --> Security Tab --> Advanced --> Owner TAB --> Edit --> Check "Replace owner on subcontainers & Objects"
5. Reboot
6. Add Full control permission to the admin account to Program File
7. Reboot

hasayeretFMG
Enthusiast
Posts: 37
Liked: 1 time
Joined: Jun 16, 2017 1:18 pm
Full Name: Rotem Ben
Contact:

Re: Error while installing the Veeam console on a workstatio

Post by hasayeretFMG » Aug 08, 2017 7:09 pm

Dima P. wrote:Hi hasayeretFMG,

Googling gives the following article as a resolution of this issue. Can you try the steps described below?
]
I'm not installing SQL server though... I just want to get the Veeam console on my computer so I won't have to remote to the server each time i'll need help... is it still necessary?

v.Eremin
Veeam Software
Posts: 15058
Liked: 1131 times
Joined: Oct 26, 2012 3:28 pm
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin
Contact:

Re: Error while installing the Veeam console on a workstatio

Post by v.Eremin » Aug 09, 2017 5:06 pm

Do your backup console and backup server use the same product build? Thanks.

sjameel
Lurker
Posts: 1
Liked: never
Joined: Jan 16, 2018 3:05 pm
Full Name: Sharif Jameel
Contact:

Re: Error while installing the Veeam console on a workstatio

Post by sjameel » Jan 16, 2018 3:13 pm

Did anyone find a solution for this issue? I'm experiencing the exact same symptom. I went so far as to do the following...

Disabled UAC
Create a Local Admin account on the workstation (instead of using domain admin)
Provide full-control explicit permissions to the Veeam program folders
Provide full-control explicit permissions to HKLM\Software reg keys for Veeam
Disabled all AV programs

Ran the update both from the server and downloaded it directly from Veeam and still get the same error: "Not all privileges or groups referenced are assigned to the caller"
I also tried kicking off the update file from an admin command prompt and got the error.
Used 7zip to break out the .exe file into it's components and ran the executable HFWizard from within - same error.

What's weird is that the error comes up instantaneously when you click to install - like there's no processing attempted at all by the system.

DDIT
Enthusiast
Posts: 57
Liked: 10 times
Joined: Oct 29, 2015 5:58 pm
Full Name: Michael Yorke
Contact:

Re: Error while installing the Veeam console on a workstatio

Post by DDIT » Sep 10, 2018 10:35 am

This error is almost certainly an issue with the Local Security Policy (configured locally or via GPO)

Veeam published this article (https://www.veeam.com/kb2465) which hints at the problem, but the specific fix regarding permissions for 'Debug Programs' for me didn't work. I have a domain wide group policy, which sets various permissions under Computer > Windows Settings > Security Settings > Local Polices > User Rights Assignment > ...

Something set in my GPO was preventing the upgrade, so rather than troubleshoot "trial and error" style to determine which specific permission was breaking this, I simply blocked the GPO from applying to my backup server temporarily, rebooted (to ensure the local policy was being applied - not the GPO), then ran the upgrade, then unblocked it after and rebooted again to have the GPO take effect.

Hope this helps.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], david.tosoff, Google [Bot] and 17 guests