Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
johnny@datafant.se
Enthusiast
Liked: never

ESXi from OEM seen by VB as free ESXi

Post by johnny@datafant.se »

Hello,

I installed a moment ago VB 4, attached a server (ESXi v4) and created a job.
When I run the job I get error message:

"Checking the license for the source host "esx1.company-name.se" Your Veeam Backup license does not allow processing of free ESXi. "

Screenshot from vSphere Client (I have filtered the serial number):

"Product: ESXi 4 Single Server Licensed for 1 physical CPUs (1-6 cores per CPU)
Product: ESXi 4 Single Server Licensed for 1 physical CPUs (1-6 cores per CPU)
License Key: xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxx-xxxxx
Expires: Never"

The ESXi license was bought when buying the Fujitsu-server.

Cannot anybody explain why ?

Regards,

Johnny Lundgren
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: ESXi from OEM seen by VB as free ESXi

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Johnny,

Actually, even free ESXi servers have license keys, probably your hosts still act as free hosts, even with the correct paid license. Veeam Backup judges on whether the host is free ESXi based on querying certain host parameter using VMware API. And for some reason, VMware API thinks that your host is in the free licensing mode.

Also you may contact our support to obtain detailed instructions on how to get this response without Veeam Backup (through ESX MOB portal), so that you could then take this problem to VMware Support.

Thank you.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6646 times

Post by Gostev »

I believe this could be because VMware API still thinks it is in free licensing mode (our code queries VMware API to see whether the host is in free functionality mode). If you are sure that license key you are seeing are not from free ESXi, try rebooting the host. You can contact our support and they will show you the ESX licensing state value our code sees through ESX MOB so that you could work with VMware to resolve.

As far as I know, most OEM ESXi hosts are shipped with "free ESXi" license key pre-installed.
johnny@datafant.se
Enthusiast

Post by johnny@datafant.se »

FYI, I have started a case at Fujitsu.
I will update this thread when I get more info

/Johnny
withanh
Veteran
Full Name: Darhl

Post by withanh »

I had similar confusion with my IBM blades. We bought ESXi with the blades and it came pre-installed, all I did was turn on the blades, configure the host interface and start building VMs. Turns out that the OEM installation of ESXi is really the free version even though I paid for it. I paid a token amount, not what I consider to be a "real" VMware license which costs $$$$ depending on what features you license, where my OEM version cost $29. This may be a similar issue with your Fujitsu issue.
For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert - Arthur C Clarke's Fourth Law
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6646 times

Post by Gostev »

withanh wrote:my OEM version cost $29
Hmm, I wonder why do they charge $29 for completely free product in the first place...
withanh
Veteran
Full Name: Darhl

Post by withanh »

Exactly what I was wondering as well. That could be for the 4GiB USB that is installed on the motherboard that houses the ESXi, or it could be for "installation services" or whatever they're calling that these days :x
For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert - Arthur C Clarke's Fourth Law
dennes
Influencer

Post by dennes »

Yes, the $29,- charge is solely for the preinstalled sd/usb card in the server that has ESXi modified with CIM agents of the supplier (Delll,HP, IBM etc.), it has nothing to do with the actual VMware license, which you'd have to buy for Veeam to be supported.
When you enter a payed-for ESX(i) key in the vSphere client, a couple of extra options are added in the license screen, including the vStorage API, which i guess is what Veeam checks for..

Dennes