Move ReFS based repo and keep fast clone benefit

Availability for the Always-On Enterprise

Move ReFS based repo and keep fast clone benefit

Veeam Logoby SebastiaanT » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:25 am

So I have a ReFS volume formated with 4k that has 77.6TB of data but with block cloning is only 9.5TB on disk.
I created a new disk with 64k blocks as recommended by veeam and want to move the data. How can I copy this data without needing to copy that 77.6TB of data and keeping the space savings from the block cloning?
SebastiaanT
Influencer

Liked: never

Re: Move ReFS based repo and keep fast clone benefit

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:43 am

Saving coming from block cloning cannot be migrated from one volume to the other. You can point a job to the new 64K volume, wait till required retention is reached, and delete obsolete points present on the 4K volume. After that, convert the old volume to 64K as well. Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 939 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Veeam Logoby SebastiaanT » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:44 pm

Then I would have to remove the retention, mapping the backup job to other storage would otherwise require to copy the retention to the new location.
Is this a limitation of ReFS and is it something that will be adressed in the future?
SebastiaanT
Influencer

Liked: never

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:22 pm

It's the way the said functionality has been designed by Microsoft. Unfortunately, we don't have any insights regarding them taking this limitation away in foreseeable future.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

[MERGED] Move ReFS based repo and keep fast clone benefit

Veeam Logoby bubbagump » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:27 pm

The title says it all. The traditional way to move a repo is simply to copy it to its new location and do a map (https://www.veeam.com/kb1729). However, it seems with the ReFS block/fast clone, the cloning does not carry over and a lot more space is needed on the target. Is there a way to move a repo between ReFS volumes and carry over the cloning? Google has been worthless thus far.
bubbagump
Influencer

Liked: 2 times

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:21 am

Currently, there is no way to achieve what you're after. And be aware that the limitation is not imposed by Veeam. Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Return to Veeam Backup & Replication