Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
skumflum
Service Provider
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Søren Emig

Evacuating extent free space

Post by skumflum »

Hello,
We are utilizing Scale-Out Backup Repository and per VM backup chain. My Jobs is primarily forward forever.

We have the following layout:

Extent1: Capacity 45TB Free 53GB
Extent2: Capacity 53TB Free 36TB
Extent3: Capacity 64TB Free 32TB

We want to retire Extent1 completely but what will happen if I try to evacuate the Extent. There is neither space on Extent2 or 3 for the whole content of Extent 1. My understanding of the evacuation process is that Veeam will select one Extent as the destination, am I right? If so, this extent will run out of space and the evacuation will fail. Will a retry then move the remaining data to the other extent with free space?

How should I go about this?

I want to prioritize:

1.Keep the data safe 8)
2.Keep downtime (with regards to backup) as low as possible
3.Keep the manual work to a minimum (if possible)

How will Veeam continue to do backups while evacuating? We are doing forward forever backups so Veeams has to merge into the initial VBK after each backup. What if this VBK file is on an extent that is in maintenance mode and in an evacuation process?

Thank you :D
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Evacuating extent free space

Post by foggy »

Hi Søren, while extent is in the maintenance mode, Veeam B&R does not start new tasks targeted at it. Backup files will be distributed across other extents in SOBR and Veeam B&R will try to keep the specified backup placement settings where possible.
skumflum
Service Provider

Post by skumflum »

HI Alexander,

Thank you. But what about the process of evacuating? Will it distribute the files between the two remaining extents? Remember not one of the extent has free space in itself.
skumflum
Service Provider

Post by skumflum »

.... and when you write "....Veeam B&R does not start new tasks targeted at it" what impact have this on my jobs? Will they not start or will they just write data to another extent?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Backups will be distributed across other extents, as I've mentioned above. If the job starts at the moment extent is in maintenance mode, it will either fail or make full backup to another extent, if the corresponding option is enabled.