Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
pronto
Expert
Liked: 4 times

Event ID 1511: User Profile Service

Post by pronto »

Servus Community,

I am getting multiple errors in the event viewer on a Windows Server 2016 during replication with event ID 1511 (User Profile Service). We have created a separate service account for Veeam 'DOMAIN\veeam', which is specified in the configuration of the replication job for access to the systems to be backed up or replicated. This service account is a member of the domain administrators and the domain administrators are members of the local administrators group. Thus, no local logon with this service account should be necessary, at least none that requires a separate user profile. There is also no such profile available, neither in the user administration, nor in the profile administration. The replication job has to work on a lot of other servers, all with the same settings, but on none of them is this error present again. Something is different on this server than on all the others.

Code: Select all

Protokollname: Application
Quelle:        Microsoft-Windows-User Profiles Service
Datum:         21.06.2023 03:20:12
Ereignis-ID:   1511
Aufgabenkategorie:Keine
Ebene:         Fehler
Schlüsselwörter:
Benutzer:      DOMAIN\veeam
Computer:      VM-REGULA-4.DOMAIN.local
Beschreibung:
The local user profile was not found. You are logged in with a temporary user profile. Changes you make to the user profile are lost when you log off.

What makes Veeam now try to log in with the service account all the time?

Thx & Bye Tom
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: Event ID 1511: User Profile Service

Post by PetrM »

Hello,

Please provide a support case ID as requested when you create a new topic about a technical issue. We cannot troubleshoot technical issues effectively over the forum posts. All posts about technical issues without case ID will be eventually deleted by the forum moderator. You can also upload debug logs for our support as per the instruction of this KB, also please upload Windows event logs where the mentioned error is present.

Thanks!
pronto
Expert

Post by pronto »

I need to open a ticket to ask a question in the forum? Seriously? What is the purpose of a community for you? But well, if you want to bring out the big guns for a simple question, that's okay too. The only thing that worries me now is how this will work in the future? I have over 100 postings in this forum so far and if I have to open a ticket every time, it can be quite annoying...

Have a nice day...
nielsengelen
Product Manager
Liked: 1181 times
Full Name: Niels Engelen

Post by nielsengelen »

The forums are created for technical discussions however the above issue is something that cannot be easily clarified on the forums. It requires better insight into the infrastructure and therefore support is the route to go.

It will help in understanding what went wrong or was missed in the configuration. If it is a certain bug, it can also be clarified and resolved via support.
Personal blog: https://foonet.be
GitHub: https://github.com/nielsengelen
pronto
Expert

Post by pronto »

That's all well and good but why do you threaten to delete questions that don't have a ticket number? I've been doing this job for 20 years and I'm on dozens of forums and I've posted tens of thousands of posts but this hasn't happened to me yet.

The last time I had a problem with Veeam it was similar to what I'm having now and in the end it was really a case of support having to solve it. But on the one hand it took forever and on the other hand the community still doesn't know the solution, which is quite simple in the end, because here in the forum it only mentions "open a ticket".

In the long run, you're not doing yourself any favors. If you can only post here with a ticket number, you can just leave. Who writes in a forum, as long as the support is still working on the case and when the case is solved, what should I still do here?

Shut down the community if you don't want to have it, then maybe a third party will take care of the matter.
nielsengelen
Product Manager

Post by nielsengelen »

We have some forum rules (just like any forum) regarding creating topics, especially when it involves technical issues. If you open a case and provide the ID, we can look into it (from the R&D side) and benefit from it (feature request, product enhancements, clarifying things either on the forums or user guide...) or help others with a similar issue (helping the community) in the future. While it may not help you at once (and may sound frustrating), it does open the door for you to, later on, discuss the outcome of the case and allows us to react to it (if required).

Of course, we could also not do this and use an "easy way out" and for example point you to Microsoft Technet where a potential solution is available. While this could work, we rather have insight via our support to assure it is a valid solution.

On top of that, if it would be a solution and you reboot the server (for whatever reason - let's say updates), the issue may come back and we are back to the same story. Again, it's not that we don't want to help but after years of running the forums, certain rules were made and put in place and have proven successful with a combination of forums & support working together to solve issues (fast(er)).

Hope you can understand this and hopefully we can quickly resolve your issue (and answer the question) this way.
pronto
Expert

Post by pronto »

If you open a case and provide the ID, we can look into it (from the R&D side)
When I open a case, I expect R&D that take a look inside. Why do I need a forum then?
Hope you can understand this and hopefully we can quickly resolve your issue (and answer the question) this way.
I doubt that we can solve the issue this way. You've explained to me in great detail why you don't want to do that.
nielsengelen
Product Manager

Post by nielsengelen »

I think there is some confusion here.

Our support teams handle support cases, not R&D teams as they work on enhancing our products (or create hotfixes if required among many other tasks). The R&D forums are a way to direct connect to Veeam's PM (among others).
And I think you misunderstood me when I stated "we" to quickly resolve your issue as I mean "Veeam" in the form of our support team.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Post by Gostev »

pronto wrote: Jun 22, 2023 9:54 pmWhat is the purpose of a community for you?
pronto wrote: Jun 23, 2023 10:51 amWhy do I need a forum then?
These very questions are answered in the forum rules which were displayed when you clicked New Topic:
If this is not a support forum, then what is the purpose of this community?

Let us know if anything is not clear for you in these rules, and please be sure to follow them if you choose to continue contributing to this community.

Thank you for understanding.
desmith
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Derek Smith

Post by desmith »

I see these events on systems where no network connectivity to the guest is available and VSS is triggered by vmware tools. It also leaves behind the old temp profiles until we get to temp.domain.999, then jobs start to fail.

To address this I just create a profile for the veeam service account with runas or an interactive login on the guest.
MCH_helferlein
Expert
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Peter Helfer

Post by MCH_helferlein »

Please get rid of this Veeam Backup Service account!

No need to have the Veeam Server and or it's accounts in the domain!

Even less in the Domain Admin group!

This is just really dangerous!
pronto
Expert

Post by pronto »

Servus Community,

an update on this issue. The error was caused by incorrect firewall settings on the client. The case ID under which this issue was investigated by the support team is: #06138919. Here is the answer from product support:
You get this error message because the first time you try to log on to the OS level of the REGULA-4 VM, via Admin$, we always get an error:

[24.06.2023 03:07:35.157] <27> Info         Starting guest agent
[24.06.2023 03:07:35.188] <27> Info         [RemoteGuestInstaller] installing via admin share
[24.06.2023 03:07:35.235] <27> Info         [CProxyRpcInvoker] RpcInvoker [30696884] has been created. Host: [192.168.111.238:6190]
[24.06.2023 03:08:23.426] <27> Error        Retrieved incorrect string: do rpc - Cannot connect to the admin share. Host:  [VM-REGULA-4.DOMAIN.local]. Account: [DOMAIN\veeam].;Win32 error:Der Netzwerkpfad wurde nicht gefunden.; Code: 53
[24.06.2023 03:08:23.426] <27> Error        Cannot connect to the admin share. Host:  [192.168.110.218]. Account: [DOMAIN\veeam].;Win32 error:Der Netzwerkpfad wurde nicht gefunden.; Code: 53
[24.06.2023 03:08:23.426] <27> Error        --tr:Failed to install
Since it is not possible, it is done on VIX failover, which also fails, which is why you also get all these error events:

[24.06.2023 03:08:48.021] <27> Error        [VssComponentInstaller] Failing over from guest agent via GIP to VIX connection via GIP
[24.06.2023 03:08:48.021] <27> Error        Failed to install via Deployment Svc
However, it is created successfully on the second attempt, which is why the replication is also green:

[24.06.2023 03:08:48.068] <27> Info         [CProxyRpcInvoker] RpcInvoker [52758407] has been created. Host: [192.168.111.238:6190]
[24.06.2023 03:10:51.099] <27> Info         [VssProxy] Connecting to admin shared folder
[24.06.2023 03:10:51.209] <27> Info         [VssProxy] Starting ping thread
[24.06.2023 03:10:51.209] <27> Info         [VssProxy] Session created, id: {4f04ac26-f867-4987-8238-13928e951e1b}
HTH Tom