Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Saichi
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Kris Jolly

Exact files being backed up

Post by Saichi »

Good afternoon!
I have gone through the forums and I havent seen an answer to this question. However, I do apologise in advance if this has been asked before.

I am currently Running B&R 5.0 64 bit and I am backing up 8 VMs every 4 hours. Over the course of the backups the reverse incrementals can vary widely from 1 gig to 4 gigs being backed up even over night. I was wondering if there is some sort of log or report I could generate so I could see exactly what files are being backed up per Job session and from what machine.

This should help me track down why the backups are varying so widely and that will make putting a back up server off site that much smoother.

Thanks for your help ahead of time. If there is more information being needed, please, dont hesistate to let me know!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2722 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Exact files being backed up

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Kris,

Since Veeam B&R works on the block level, we do not have any visibility into the Guest OS, so it is not possible to track which files/applications have generated changed blocks on VM's hard drive.

We have an existing topic which describes all possible reasons for block changes, please look it through, should help: Large VIB file on a small static server

Thanks!
Saichi
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Kris Jolly

Re: Exact files being backed up

Post by Saichi »

That makes perfect sense and you answered my question perfectly and in a prompt manner. I am grateful, thank you!