Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
apolloxm
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time

Exact Utility for Microsoft Windows

Post by apolloxm »

As I know, Veeam had a tool which name is extract_utility. according to my testing, this tool only can extract the Hyper-V jobs, it can't extract the Veeam agent for Windows jobs.Is that correct? There is one scenario:We only have the full backup files for the all the VMs and windows servers(the VBK files has been copied to other place). all the servers are down(including the backup server),our Veeam Backup Server (Hyper-V VMs) and domain controllers are backuped with Hyper-V. To speed up restoring process, Can we use this tool to recover domain controller?In other words, can we use this tool to restore vms that enabled application aware function?also, We have serveral servers(VMs) are bakcuped with Veeam agent for windows as those vms have ISCSI connection which Hyper-V are not support, the agents are managed by the Veeam Server. how can we restore those VMs? from my understanding, we need to restore the backup servers and domain controller firstly, after that, We can import the VBK files to Veeam server then start to restore the VMs operating system. once the VM is ready, we can start to configure the ISCSI connection in the VM, at the end, we can start Volume level restore. Is that correct?Thanks!
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Exact Utility for Microsoft Windows

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
extract utility is for Hyper-V and VMware VMs, yes.

I guess it's faster to install a new VBR server and do normal restore instead of extracting and then copy files (2x data movement). I suggest to test it in your environment to see what's faster. Whether application aware image processing was activated or not is irrelevant. Both is supported.

Physical machine recovery (or Frankenstein machines) are covered in the other thread

Best regards,
Hannes