Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
marky
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Mark Coleman

Excessive backup files

Post by marky »

I seem to have a lot more full backup files than I would expect.

My backups are configured as:-

Retention Policy > Restore points = 31

Reverse Incremental

I would expect to see one full backup file (vbk) and multiple incremental (vrb) but I observe full backup files for the last 4 days.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Excessive backup files

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Mark,

How many backup files you have in total? Does the number match your retention policy settings? Do you have active full backup scheduled by any chance?

Thanks!
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

marky wrote:but I observe full backup files for the last 4 days.
So, you're saying that there are 4 full backups for the last 4 days? Could someone manually initiate active full backup by any chance? Thanks.
marky
Enthusiast

Post by marky »

Active full back is not selected. The job is set to run daily.

There's not close to the 31 retention but my understanding of reversed Inc is there should only be one full vbk and multi inc vrb depending on retention settings

I have about 10 backup jobs, all configured the same and also demonstrating the same file issue.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

There's not close to the 31 retention but my understanding of reversed Inc is there should only be one full vbk and multi inc vrb depending on retention settings
Yes, with reversed incremental mode the latest backup is always a full one. If scheduled, "active full" will also add some .vbks to the chain.
I have about 10 backup jobs, all configured the same and also demonstrating the same file issue.
All ten jobs are set in reversed incremental mode, have active full disabled, and meanwhile there are more than full backups in their chains?

Thanks.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Did you have any failed job sessions recently? Can you check the size of these VBK files? Is it the same within the job?
marky
Enthusiast

Post by marky »

All our jobs are setup exactly the same. None of them have failed.

The backup report for one example server defines the backup size as 145gb, the same as the files.

Here's something else to add, the backup job I can see has been running quite happily since the 7th, I can see vrb inc files which are relatively small, then on the 11th there is what seems to be the full backup too and each day after that.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Given that active full schedule is disabled, I can't imagine the reason of creation of 4 subsequent full backups, apart from manual intervention, of course. Could someone initiate active full backup either manually or via script?
marky
Enthusiast

Post by marky »

...and why all of a sudden. It had been running fine up to Friday (I know the license was upgraded during that day). I am the only one sorting this and there are no scripts of any kind running.

It has done it for every server that is scheduled and now there is potential for the disk in the NAS to fill up tonight.

I need an answer and quick!

What will happen if I delete the other full backup files, just retaining the latest vbk and all vrb?
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

What will happen if I delete the other full backup files, just retaining the latest vbk and all vrb?
You can remove older restore points manually. It's not recommended, though. VB&R will be unaware of those changes, and references to restore points will still remain in the SQL configuration database, as if restore points were available (until flushed away by retention).

Also, if you retain just the latest .vbk and .vrb, you're likely to break backup chain, as increments seem to be dependent not on the latest full, but rather on the 3-day old one.

If I were you, I would open a ticket with the support team and let them find the root cause.

Thanks.
marky
Enthusiast

Post by marky »

Ok thanks guys, appreciate your help.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Once it's opened, kindly, post your ticket number here, so that we can follow the case. Thanks.
marky
Enthusiast

Post by marky » 1 person likes this post

marky
Enthusiast

Post by marky »

Just installed the latest patch and all the previous full backup files have disappeared (apart from last nights).

Let's see what happens tonight!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

marky wrote:I need an answer and quick!
If you really need it quick, then forums is the worst place to start :D technical issues can only be troubleshoot quickly through debug logs review by our support engineers. Forums, on the other hand, are all about eternal guessing when it comes to a technical issue. And since guessing can taken forever, we do not provide any SLA guarantees on that ;)
dellock6
Veeam Software
Liked: 1928 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 » 1 person likes this post

Well, here on the forum our SLA is for real "best effort". We do the best we can to support everyone :)
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1