Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
brollman
Influencer
Liked: never

Exchange 2010 Best Practice (Circular Logging)

Post by brollman »

New to VEEAM, trying to get a handle on some things. Question about backing up exchange 2010.

Is there a setting when creating the backup job that's specific to letting it know to truncate logs? Right now our circular logging is enabled and we want to disable it.

Additionally, our log folder on Exchange is a little less than 20gb. It fills up in pretty quickly. More often than the Backup Job runs. We currently have one job running against our vcenter with all virtual servers in it (including Exchange.) I'm trying to figure out if I should try to set up additional backup jobs just for Exchange, or try to increase the size of the drive holding the log files.

Thanks!
dellock6
VeeaMVP
Liked: 1932 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Re: Exchange 2010 Best Practice (Circular Logging)

Post by dellock6 »

Well, I think increasing the disk space is a good idea regardless of Veeam backup: if for whatever reason you cannot backup that VM for let's say 3 days, you have enough space to accomodate your logs without filling the disk.
About the backup, you can setup e dedicated job to save only the exchange VM, and shedule it to run multiple times in a day, depending on your need.

Luca.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2722 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

brollman wrote:Is there a setting when creating the backup job that's specific to letting it know to truncate logs?
You need to enable "application-aware image processing" and verify that "Truncate logs" checkbox is enabled via Advanced settings.
brollman
Influencer

Post by brollman »

Vitaliy S. wrote: You need to enable "application-aware image processing" and verify that "Truncate logs" checkbox is enabled via Advanced settings.
Excellent, that's what I was looking for. Cheers.
brollman
Influencer

Post by brollman »

dellock6 wrote:Well, I think increasing the disk space is a good idea regardless of Veeam backup: if for whatever reason you cannot backup that VM for let's say 3 days, you have enough space to accomodate your logs without filling the disk.
About the backup, you can setup e dedicated job to save only the exchange VM, and shedule it to run multiple times in a day, depending on your need.

Luca.
Good point, good to have extra space in case something unforetold happens.