Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1401 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Re: Exchange 2010 DAG backup ?

Post by Andreas Neufert »

@Tore, the event is a typical error when a snapshot commit lead into a cluster failover and the database log can not be truncated. As the Truncation is replicated through the cluster, it could happen that one of the other dag database backups where successfull and truncation is replicated. You need to look why the Snapshot truncation lead into clutser failovers. Did you had set the correct cluster props?

Please look up the error code in my blog entry. You will find a lot of tips how to address this and why this happens.
http://andyandthevms.com/exchange-dag-v ... plication/
LMS
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: MS Sunil

[MERGED] Exchange 2016 DAG Backup

Post by LMS »

Hi

We have Windows Servers 2016 HV hosts in cluster, configured 2 X Exchange 2016 servers in single DAG on 2 HV hosts (these VMs are not part of Cluster). There are 20 DBs with exchange and configured 10 DBs active on first node and rest 10 DBs active on second node. Also there are 2 DBs on each host which are local to each Exchange servers (these 2 DBs - total 4 on both the servers are configured to host a few users for testing purpose).

We are looking for best practice to take backup of DAG members as well the standalone DBs configured on each Exchange 2016 VM

Thanks in advance
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Please review the link given above and this document for the Exchange DAG backup best practices.
DReevell
Lurker

[MERGED] Exchange 2016 DAG Backups

Post by DReevell »

Quick question, I think I already know the answer so I'm looking for some confirmation.

We're using Veeam B&R 9.5 to backup our Exchange 2016 environment however, there is a capacity issue that means we cannot backup ALL the exchange servers. Does Veeam support / allow administrators to backup a mixture of active and passive DAG dbase copies, i.e. some of the servers being backed up will only hold passive copies of the DAG dbases whereas some, will hold active and passive copies. Due to the way the DAG dbases are distributed it would be that some dbases would only have passive copies backed up whereas others would have both active and passive backed up.

My understanding is that Veeam would be ok and we should be able to restore items from within the database and, the database itself, even if we only have passive copies backed up. Is this correct? What (if any) 'gotchas' are there for using this method?

Rgds
DR
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

Hello and welcome to the community!
Veeam Backup & Replication supports any configuration of DAGs, in particular, with all databases active on one node, or with active databases on every node. Transaction logs will be truncated on all DAG members, no matter whether VBR backs up an active or passive database.
Thanks!
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management

... please let me add ... if you backup only some DAG members with Veeam Guest processing enabled, Transaction log truncation gets replicated by Exchange to the other servers. See above links for tons of additional details.
hwelvaar
Novice
Liked: 1 time

Post by hwelvaar »

No definitive answer yet ?
Has anything changed with U3 for B&R 9.5 ?

I have two Exchange 2016 servers, with 2 DAG databases. Each server has one active copy, and one passive copy of a DB. Remark: these are physical servers, so no underlying VMware or Hyper-V. And I want to start using Veeam to backup these systems.

So has the jury decided yet?: should I create one Veeam job with both servers, or different jobs with just one server each ?
And is Veeam in fact aware that it is backing up (or restoring) a DAG ?

Thanks guys for any feedback...
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management

For several reasons it is a good idea to backup DAG servers sequentially instead of parallel. In a B&R VMware/Hyper-V Job this is not really possible to achive. So 2 Jobs.

In case of physical Exchange, you can use the Veeam Agent for Windows.

If you enable (Agents/Hyper-V/VMware Backup) Veeam Guest processing, we do Application Aware backup, which includes DAG detection and prepare all needed steps for restore of the VM (see my blog post for mentioned above for the Windows Event Log details) and Veeam Explorer Restore (Passive Databases will be added to explorer as well).
tinto1970
Expert
Liked: 32 times
Full Name: Alessandro T.

[MERGED] First Backup of an exchange 2010: tips&tricks

Post by tinto1970 »

hi folks,

Onece again i have an anxious backup job to start. I must start backing up an Exchange server 2010 with about 1400 mailboxes (4 TB data).
It lives in an NFS datastore on a Netapp.

Veeam (9.5u3) has the integration with Netapp storages (else i would not even try...). I've tested if it correctly works by putting a dummy vm in the same datastore and try backing it up.
These are the statistics
Processed: 70 GB, Read 70GB, Transferred: 2 GB (in the graphic i see a peak in reading at 900 MB/s)
Processing Rate: 557MB/s
Load: Source 99% Proxy 40% Net 10% target 0%

the target is a general purpose server with internal dissks (as @Gostev likes 8) )

My concern is that the vmware snaphosts, even if they will live only for minutes, could slow down the server and force it to unmount the databases.
Given the scenario, how good are the chance of the Exchange to "survive" the backup process?

A friend if mines suggests to put a ingestion limit in the repository, to avoid overload on the production storage. Any suggestions and help is really appreciated.

Thanks in advance for reading
Alessandro aka Tinto | VMCE 2024 | Veeam Legend | VCP-DCV 2023 | VVSPHT2023 | vExpert 2024
blog.tinivelli.com
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Hi Alessandro, I've merged your post into existing topic discussing tips and tricks of Exchange Server backup, please review. Here's also the KB article regarding similar matter.
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management

Hi Alessandro,

thanks for the feedback and questions.
To limit the speed on the target side will not help to prevent peak backup load on the source. This is by design of Veeam and Caching.

So overall if you "only" have the Exchange and Exchange backup workload on the Storage, please use the Veeam Latency control setting to allow Veeam to reduce the backup steam when the storage latency grow.

Overall, usually the backup load itself should not be an issue foe Exchange as you have designed your Exchange server for load peaks. The only "problematic" workload is the snapshot commit. By following the Veeam KB and my blog post tricks and tips, you usually avoid those issues completely.
deesloop
Enthusiast
Full Name: Darren Slupek

[MERGED] Exchange migration

Post by deesloop »

Hi looking for some advise on backing up

Previously I had 2 sites with an exchange server on each.
This was replicated to a DR location - and as it didn't support single item restore we migrated to 2013

However the 2013 setup is alittle different.
We still have 2 sites, but are using 2 servers on each site in a DAG - for that site only.

Whats the best way to do backups/replicas of this?
We're fortunate in that we also use Mimecast for longer term archive & journaling
everything should be recoverable that way, but ideally we'd like the exchange servers recoverable.

And please folks, keep it simple.
Thank you
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Re: Exchange migration

Post by DGrinev »

Hey Darren,

Please review this article about protecting Exhange DAGs with plenty of useful information and links.
Also, check the existing big discussion. Thanks!
Tlachy
Novice
Full Name: Jozef Tlachac

[MERGED] How to Backup Exchange 2013 DAG with VEEAM ..

Post by Tlachy »

Hi ,

I have question about backup MS Exchange 2013 DAG CU20 with two member server .. we have 16 DB ( even-numbered DB´s are active on first NOD and odd-numbered DB´s are active on second NOD ) .. what´s best practice how to backup that environment ? Exchange DAG is running as VM on VMware ESXi 6 ..

Thanks
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Re: How to Backup Exchange 2013 DAG with VEEAM ..

Post by DGrinev »

Hey Jozef and welcome to the community!

Please review this thread and the links above in my previous post, you'll find helpful article about DAG protection by Veeam. Thanks!
Kri
Lurker
Full Name: Krishna

[MERGED] Microsoft Exchange 2013

Post by Kri »

Hi
we have Exchange 2013 with 3 node DAG installed OS 2008R2 we are planning to configure backup, i like to know procedure to configure it can anyone help.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Hi, please review this thread for the Exchange DAG backup best practices.
Cheapers
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times

[MERGED] Exchange 2016 DAG back-up main steps

Post by Cheapers »

Hi,
We want to backup Exchange 2016 DAG with several nodes (virtual), all active / passive (no dedicated passive nodes).
Is this possible and can someone highlight the steps needed to get this done?
Do I need to create a Protection Group?
Thanks
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 680 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Hi Cheapers, please check this thread for answers.
/Cheers!