Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
mmah
Lurker
Liked: never

Exchange 2010 restore event ID's...

Post by mmah »

I am taking a backup of an Exchange 2010 VM that is hosting some active and passive database copies. Application aware image processing is checked.

To simulate DR I power off the VM in ESX (not a shutdown, but a power-off).

I then restore the Exchange 2010 VM, it boots up and the Exchange DAG comes back.

BUT, I do not see the 9618/9620 events saying that a successful VSS restore event was processes. Should I be seeing this? Maybe I am missing something in the restore?

I just am concerned that I don't see any messages saying that a VSS restore was done, which is one of the criteria for MS supportability.

Thanks!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Exchange 2010 restore event ID's...

Post by foggy »

With the current implementation of Exchange 2010 processing in Veeam B&R these events are not logged. The processing algorithm will be probably revised slightly in v6.1 for these events to be logged.
mmah
Lurker
Liked: never

Post by mmah »

Ok, just to verify then, Veeam is using VSS backup, verification and VSS restore when I restore an Exchange VM?

After a restore of the VM, does it dismount the store (or passive copy) before it does a VSS restore of the Exchange database inside the VM?

I just want to verify that its a MS supported backup/restore methodology before I make a decision to purchase.

Thanks!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

mmah wrote:Ok, just to verify then, Veeam is using VSS backup, verification and VSS restore when I restore an Exchange VM?
Yes.
mmah wrote:After a restore of the VM, does it dismount the store (or passive copy) before it does a VSS restore of the Exchange database inside the VM?
Yes.
mmah wrote:I just want to verify that its a MS supported backup/restore methodology before I make a decision to purchase.
You may want to watch this webinar, which covers all these aspects of Exchange backup&recovery according to Microsoft requirements.