Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
jamiehildred
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: never
Full Name: Jamie Hildred

Exchange Item Level Recovery with Evault Archiving

Post by jamiehildred »

Hi,

Has anyone performed an Exchange Item Level Recovery using Veeam Exchange explorer in Backup And Replication V7, on an Exchange backup that is being archived with Enterprise Vault. I ask because I am due to install this for a customer and from previous experience with Veeam 6.5 there were issues performing windows file level restores in a similar situation, Veeam was unable to handle the reparse points (stubs) created by Evault. We managed to get around this by using the linux file level restore but the downside of this was that were no options to search for individual files and I'm unsure whether this will be a viable workaround with Exchange recoveries.

Questions;

Is this still an issue in V7?

if so, are there any workarounds?

Just to note, I am aware of the pre/post powershell scripts that will need to be deployed to put EVault into backup mode to allow the successful backup of the EVault vm.

Cheers
Jamie
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Exchange Item Level Recovery with Evault Archiving

Post by foggy »

Jamie, basically the situation is similar as with previous version, so the same workaround (using Linux FLR to retrieve the database file and then providing it to VEX for Exchange granular restores) should still be applicable. Another option is using some third-party tool to retrieve the database after mounting the backup file in Windows FLR (but you will need to set the ReparsePointUpdateLimit key to zero to preserve all reparse points on mount) or utilizing Instant Recovery to fire the entire VM up and then restoring the database.