Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
pawel
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times

Exchange Item Recovery, Bad Interface?

Post by pawel »

Hello,

I am wanting to test out individual mailbox recovery of exchange items from my backups but the interface to do this seems really odd and frankly I don't want to try it until I do another backup once everyone is gone.

If I browse the backups I have on disk and select a server with Exchange I can select the following menu:
Application Items - > Microsoft Exchange
From there I have a set of restore points, on the next screen I have a reason box, and finally a summary. On the summary it says:
Review the settings and click Next to continue.
"Next" is not an option, "Finish" is.

As I understand it if I click on "Finish" Veeam will load the Exchange explorer where I can select individual items and decide how I would like them restored, correct? No actual restore happens when I click "Finish" on the summary screen?

Doesn't this seem a bit odd? The way this is setup is it implies that when I click "Finish" the restore will simply start to the point I selected, nowhere does it indicate I will get another Window (in the SQL restore option it says it will launch the SQL restore console). As a result as I mentioned above I'm scared to death to try this in production and think this could be improved to clearly state nothing will be restored when "Finish" is clicked and that instead another program will launch? Even the documentation seems to be vague in this regard.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Exchange Item Recovery, Bad Interface?

Post by Dima P. »

Hello pawel.
Thank you for sharing your experience.
As I understand it if I click on "Finish" Veeam will load the Exchange explorer where I can select individual items and decide how I would like them restored, correct? No actual restore happens when I click "Finish" on the summary screen?
Yes, clicking Finish starts mounting the selected restore point and then opens the Exchange Item Recovery Browser where you select items and perform a restore.