Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
trackstar
Expert
Liked: 4 times

Exchange machine time sync

Post by trackstar »

For the exchange machines, do you guys have the VM Tools set to "Synchronize guess time with host"? Currently we don't have it checked and a recent random reboot of the machine have us thinking a "stunt" moment during the backup caused the machine to lost track of its time with the domain controller. Trying to get some feedback here.

TT
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Exchange machine

Post by Gostev »

I believe it's not recommended to enable this settings in domain environments. Exchange is supposed to sync time with domain controllers, otherwise Kerberos authentication may start failing.
Pat490
Expert
Liked: 29 times
Full Name: Patrick

Post by Pat490 »

exactly. DCs should have external time source and all member servers sync with DC
trackstar
Expert

Post by trackstar »

Pat490 wrote:exactly. DCs should have external time source and all member servers sync with DC

Thats what we have set. Exchange admin said their machine was rebooted because I don't have it set and during a stunt, it doesn't know where/when it is :roll:
trackstar
Expert

Re: Exchange machine time sync

Post by trackstar »

For an Exchange backup, the machine has to be powered on? I am assuming due it being a database and the need to truncate the logs.

We are on a DAG setup with 2 backup Exchange servers. Currently backing up the passive.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Exchange machine time sync

Post by foggy »

Typically backup of a live VM is performed, since Exchange downtime is not desired.

Here's a good thread with many tips on backing up DAG.