Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
quinny100
Lurker
Liked: never

Exchange Mailbox Restore - Omit Deleted Items

Post by quinny100 »

I've just restored a mailbox for a user who had accidentally deleted an unknown number of emails and various folders on Thursday.

This has restored over 6000 items to his Inbox that he has previously deleted long before Thursday. i assume these were either in Deleted Items or Permanently Deleted Items.

Not the end of the world as they go back as Unread so it's fairly easy to delete them again, but is there any way not to restore permanently/Deleted items folder contents without having to select each folder individually?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Exchange Mailbox Restore - Omit Deleted Items

Post by foggy »

There's an ability to not restore deleted items at all, by clearing the corresponding check box in the restore wizard.
quinny100
Lurker
Liked: never

Post by quinny100 »

I never saw the wizard - I right clicked on the mailbox, and selected the option: Restore to <users mailbox>

However, does that refer to Deleted Items as in items that have been deleted from the mailbox (that I actually want to restore), or items which are in the Deleted Items/Permanently Deleted Items folders in the mailbox?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Ah, right, it refers to items that were deleted from mailbox but exist in backup and can be restored back (including those that are in Deleted Items folder), so will not help. We're going to address this further down the road, though.