Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
VeaPM
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Danh Tran

Exclude a VM from Backup Job

Post by VeaPM »

I found out with Veeam support that if a VM is added individually to a backup job, it can not be excluded. Should this one be fixed to allow a VM or VMs being exclude from a Backup Job? I have a backup job with 5 VMs in it. I need to exclude one VM to take it offline for troubleshooting and the only option is to remove it from this backup job and add it back later. The issue I can see here is it will run a full backup again after I re-added to a job which is unnecessary! Is there a workaround?
csydas
Expert
Liked: 47 times
Full Name: Harvey Carel

Re: Exclude a VM from Backup Job

Post by csydas »

Did you actually test this and confirm that's what will happen?

I seem to recall testing it with just a bunch of junk VMs (empty disks) so we could confirm this exact scenario and it worked to just re-add the VM later on without there being a full backup made.

Alternatively, you can just exclude all the disks from the VM during the maintenance window.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

If you re-add a machine to a job that has been processing this VM previously, no new full backup should be created, unless job retention or job deleted VM retention has removed restore points of this VM already. Thanks.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

...or the VM ID has changed.