Full Name: Bjarke Ravn-Jonsen

Expectation of rebalance SOBR

Post by bcravn »

Hi!

Background: A SOBR with currently 4 extents:
3 x 150TB
1 x 60 TB
1 x 75 TB

All of them in performance tier with data locality set in placement policy, however not the strict placement policy.
All of them formatted as ReFS with weekly synth full using fastclone.

My problem is, that a lot of large vms has been spread out across multiple extents, simply because they are quite large.
So now I have several backup chains across more than one extent, and not getting disk space saving on synth full with fastclone.

This situation is of cause not optimal, but it properly due to too small extents and very large vms.
And I am aware of this, being a bad design and implementation,

So my questions is, would I be able to "align" the backup chains with a rebalance ? How much overhead would the SOBR need ? (in total I have 140 TB free of a total of 590 TB)
And how long time should I expect it to run -with all the extents in maintenance mode ?
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2296 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Expectation of rebalance SOBR

Post by Mildur »

Hello
So my questions is, would I be able to "align" the backup chains with a rebalance ?
Yes, backups from the same chain will be aligned and copied with FastClone.
How much overhead would the SOBR need ? (in total I have 140 TB free of a total of 590 TB)
And how long time should I expect it to run -with all the extents in maintenance mode ?
There will be temporarily some additional storage requirements. How much depends on the size of your backup files.
For your data size of 450TB, we don't recommend to use the Rebalance feature. Your SOBR extends may be in maintenance for multiple days without any backup job running. How long depends on your hardware and network connection between the extends. We are working to optimize the rebalance process, but this will be after V12a.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software