Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
info-ni
Novice
Liked: never

Explications about Backup Copy JOB

Post by info-ni »

Hello,

We use Veeam Backup& Replication 10 (10.0.1.4854).

We have 2 differents sites.

On the first site : we have a multiples jobs for VMs (Incremental with 30 pts ), this jobs are executed every night (Monday -> Friday). This backup use a local NAS. That's works fine :D

What we want now is having backup on the other site (in case of fire or anything else on the first site).
For some VMs we want have weekly backup (rotation with 4 full backup) for other VMs we want have the last restore point + 12 monthly full backup for example.

This schema is mostly what we want, but i don't want the weekly and monthly on my local storage, i want it on my second site storage ?

How can i do that ?

Thank You
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: Explications about Backup Copy JOB

Post by PetrM »

Hello,

Basically, GFS retention policy for backup copy jobs would help to achieve the goal, please have a look at the screenshot at the bottom of this page.

Thanks!
info-ni
Novice

Post by info-ni »

OK but if on my second site i only want have the weekly and monthly backup i can't
Because the minimum in retention policy it's 2 restore point.

Let's resume :

We have Site1 and Site2
on site1 i have 2 VM for example (VM1 and VM2)

Everynight i backup this 2VM on a local NAS with 30 restore point : OK

If i configure the GFS with 4Weekly and 12 months :
1- This 4weekly & 12 monthly will be on the local NAS ? or on my site2 only ? or both ?
2-in the backup copy job i can't disable the 2 restore point ? so i will have , 2 pts + 4weekly +12 monthly maximum = 18 backups , right ?

Thank's
PetrM
Veeam Software

Post by PetrM »

1. It depends on which job has GFS policy enabled, if both primary backup and backup copy are configured to produce GFS points, then you'll have them on both sites. If your goal is to have GFS backups only on the remote site, then you can enable GFS only in backup copy job settings.

2. Backup copy chain works in forward incremental mode if you enable GFS, therefore 18 restore points is the minimal number. The whole backup set consists of two different parts:
  • The regular chain which consists of full and daily incrementals. The maximal number of restore points is 8: the first full + 6 daily incrementals + the second full which starts the newest chain. Once the latest incremental is created in the newest chain, the first one is deleted and there are just 2 restore points remaining, both belong to the newest chain. I'd suggest to take a look at this example to get better idea of forward incremental chain.
  • The GFS chain which consists of GFS backups: the number of weekly and monthly points depends on numbers of weeks and months which are specified in this step of job wizard.
Thanks!
info-ni
Novice

Post by info-ni »

Hello,

Ok so i will have my "local" backup job with 30 restore points without GFS : OK

And create backup copy, on this one i will enable GFS with the minimum restore point , it means 2 , right ?
+ GFS on this backup copy job (4weekly + 12 monthly) if i understood ?
I don't want this job run every day but only the Saturday/Sunday so i will do settings like that :

- Periodic Copy (every 7 days) ?
- Select my VMs (by infrastructure)
-Select my second site repository + Restore point to keep : 2 + Select 4 Weekly and 12 monthly
-Select my WAN accelerator
-Schedule : Only available the Weekend.

I am right ?
PetrM
Veeam Software

Post by PetrM »

Hello,

Yes, I believe it's fine and you'll have 2 regular points + 4 Weekly + 12 Monthly. Also, please disregard the second part of my previous post since I've provided statements which are correct for the version 11 only but you're on the version 10. My bad, I didn't notice it in very beginning.

Thanks!
info-ni
Novice

Post by info-ni »

Thank you for your answers.

Last one : it's not possible to have a backup copy without this 2 restore points ?
PetrM
Veeam Software

Post by PetrM »

Hello,

You can select the option "Read the entire restore point from source instead of synthesizing it from increments" in this step of backup copy job wizard. In this case, Veeam no longer uses the forever forward incremental chain and applies forward incremental method. You'll have only GFS points as long as the job is running once per week, seems to be the case according to your schedule.

Thanks!