Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
mkaec
Veteran
Liked: 133 times
Full Name: Marc K

Explorer for Microsoft Exchange Mount Problems

Post by mkaec »

The Exchange logs are on a different disk than the EDB files. And there are multiple databases. I believe both of these are candidates for preventing VBR from auto-mounting the Exchange databases.

When I start a restore session, I get prompted for the location of the log files. But, the field for the database file is not long enough for me to see what database VBR is trying to mount. Hovering over the field doesn't display a tool tip with the full file name and there is no other external indication of which database it is trying to mount. And the databases are not mounted in alpha order. My most recent experience had VBR mount the databases in the order of Database 2, Database 3, Database 1, Database 4.

I end up having to randomly select log folders until the one that matches up to the EDB file is selected. Thankfully, it won't let me match the log folder from the wrong database.

However, there is definitely usability improvements that could be had here. I actually don't know why the conditions prevent the Explorer from automatically finding the log folder when it is smart enough to know which one is the correct folder (and the information was available when the backup occurred as to which log folders go with which EDB files.) But, at the minimum, it would be helpful if the dialog would tell me which database it is trying to mount so I wouldn't have to randomly pick log folders until I come across the correct one.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Explorer for Microsoft Exchange Mount Problems

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
is it possible that you did not activate application aware processing?

Your behavior is normal if crash-consistent backup is configured.

Best regards,
Hannes
mkaec
Veteran

Post by mkaec »

No, definitely have that enabled. I didn't think the transaction logs would get truncated without it. I do have the C: drive excluded from the job. Maybe including that would help with the automatic mount. But, please do take the request under consideration to display the name of the database in the mount dialog so that when the user does have to point VBR to the log, he or she knows which log folder to direct it to.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

I do have the C: drive excluded from the job.
This is most likely the reason, since registry file is used to detect the files location.

Your suggestion regarding tooltip does definitely make sense. Thanks!
mkaec
Veteran

Post by mkaec »

Thanks.