Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
haleyh44
Lurker
Liked: never

Export disk contents as virtual disks does it preserve the NTFS permissions?

Post by haleyh44 »

I am migrating from a 2008 physical file server to a 2016 VM. My plan was to just create the VM and use veeam to export the disk contents as VMDK and attach that to my new VM. Well after doing so I lost all my NTFS permissions on that drive.
So my question is when exporting to a VMDK does it lose all the NTFS permissions?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6692 times

Re: Export disk contents as virtual disks does it preserve the NTFS permissions?

Post by Gostev »

Honestly I don't see how this process can possibly lose anything at all, considering what it does is merely placing a bit-identical image of the original disk into VMDK container. "Loosing" anything at all from the source file system would require making binary modifications to the image, which export process certainly does not do.
bdufour
Expert
Liked: 41 times
Full Name: blake dufour

Re: Export disk contents as virtual disks does it preserve the NTFS permissions?

Post by bdufour »

are u sure u didnt just lose share permissions? share permissions are stored at the OS level, ntfs will be stored at the disk level. your share permissions are stored in a reg key that can be exported and imported on the new server.