Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Costy
Service Provider
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Constantin

Extra-large backup advice

Post by Costy »

I have to configure a new Veeam appliance and looking for any feedback regarding large backups.
This will be a Veeam 8 B&R and amongst others will need to support an Endpoint backup (still physical this one) of a client that has more than 10TB of data.
I will format the repository with /L but I want to know if there is anything else that I should consider here.
As I already have a Veeam server on location should I use the new box only as backup repository or shall I make it a full Veeam server (considering it has better cpu and much more memory)?
Anybody can share the experience with the initial full for such a large backup? Especially if it is done with Endpoint.
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Extra-large backup advice

Post by Shestakov »

Hello Constantin,
10TB can be backed up with no issues. Are you concerned about backup size or the time the backup process will take?
Here is also a related topic. Please take a look. Thanks!
dellock6
VeeaMVP
Liked: 1932 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Re: Extra-large backup advice

Post by dellock6 »

An additional note, if the repository will be the primary target for all the backups from now on, and the VBR server is going to be more a control and command console, you can keep it as the major resources will be used by the repository.
and I've heard of at least one user of the Endpoint backing up a huge physical server, I don't remember the exact size but was bigger than the virtual machine described in the topic linked by Nikita. No major issues with the initial backup even on the Endpoint, other than obviously the time it will take :)
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1