Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
marieelieg
Expert
Liked: 8 times

Failover after site disaster

Post by marieelieg »

Hello experts,

I have a question regarding the possibility of failover after a site disaster.

Let's say I have a vCenter server with multiple ESXi hosts in the Main site and another vCenter with multiple ESXi server in the DR site. The Veeam server in the main site is a VM which is replicating some of the production VMs to the DR site. If I replicate my Veeam server, for example via VMware SRM to the DR site, will it be able to failover the production VMs from main to DR in case a natural disaster caused the main site to go down? To note that the Veeam server in DR will always be powered off except in such disaster cases.

Thanking you in advance.
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 683 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Re: Failover after site disaster

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Hi Marie

Yes, you can follow scenario above, however note:
- Veeam can replicate itself(must be done with care, but technically feasible option)
- You can have Veeam B&R server on DR site straight away - you don't have to keep it on HQ site. Just add a Proxy Server in production and shift VBR server to DR. In case production environment goes down, VBR server will be up and running ready to start failover
- Check out Veeam Availability Orchestrator, which was made specifically to provide redundant DR infrastructure based on VBR servers

/Cheers!
marieelieg
Expert

Post by marieelieg »

Hi Egor,

Thank you for the reply. Glad to know that it will work.

Yes I thought about having the Veeam server in DR. However, we thought of replicating it in case any site goes down we will have 1 Veeam server still available for operations.

Thanks!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

You can also use configuration backup/restore functionality for that use case and quickly import the configuration into a newly installed or a cold DR Veeam B&R instance to continue with the further failover.
marieelieg
Expert

Post by marieelieg »

Noted. Thanks foggy :)