Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
fronzolostronzo
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Fronzo Lo Stronzo

Failover comfort zone

Post by fronzolostronzo »

Hi everybody.

Last week my company needed to restore an old version of a VM (one snapshot had gone haywire for some misterious reasons) and so my colleague opened Veeam (9.5) -> Restore -> Entire VM from backup -> etc.
Since the boss wanted to recover the data lost in the meantime - last day -, he proceeded by replacing the .vmdk with the newest one.
Everything works fine now but I noticed something: in the "Replicas"/"Active" menu there is an entry which has the same name as the VM recovered and its status is "Failover" and its icon has a green play button on it.
Would a permanent failover (right click on the entry -> "Permanent Failover") compromise the .vmdk copied manually?

And more, how does a Failover work (I did not find any more details on the official website)?

Thanks in advance,
Fronzo
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Failover comfort zone

Post by foggy »

Hi Fronzo, looks like someone has performed failover of the same VM - do you currently have two identical VMs runnning (the original one, restored from the backup, and its replica)? I recommend contacting support to verify if it is the same VM and to assist you in carefully getting rid of the unneeded one.

Here's the user guide section describing failover in detail.
fronzolostronzo
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Fronzo Lo Stronzo

Post by fronzolostronzo »

Hi Foggy, my VM is unique and no alert are shown by the vSphere.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

If you have only one VM running (replica VM) and you need to consolidate the data that has been existing since failover, then, you should perform permanent failover.

However, it would not harm to reach our support team to confirm your environment first.

Thanks.