Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
mroof
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Morey Roof

Feature Addition : Fast Backup Import

Post by mroof »

I figured I would post this to the forum to see if others thought this a useful feature request as well.

I think it would be great if the file format of Veeam backup files was altered so that when you import older sets (like a restore from tape archives) that they wouldn't need to be imported into the database. It would be great if the files self described themselves with what VMs are in them and the restore points in a fashion that didn't need to be imported into the database. It seems to take a long time for Veeam to import them from our experience and speeding them up would be great.

Anyone else think that this would be a good idea?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Feature Addition

Post by Gostev »

This is already implemented in v6.
mroof
Novice

Re: Feature Addition : Fast Backup Import

Post by mroof »

I'm using v6 and when I do an import it says "Creating database records" and sure takes awhile before I can actually use the import.
mroof
Novice

Post by mroof »

Actually, in thinking about the issue some more I would like to revise my idea. I would love a simple little utility that could run by itself without anything else besides the backup files and a windows machine to do restores with. So, if everything went bad all you need is the utility and your backup files and you can do restores.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

mroof wrote:takes awhile before I can actually use the import
That means you are either importing non-v6 backup, or selecting VBK file (actual backup file) instead of VBM file (metadata file, new to v6).
mroof wrote:Actually, in thinking about the issue some more I would like to revise my idea. I would love a simple little utility that could run by itself without anything else besides the backup files and a windows machine to do restores with. So, if everything went bad all you need is the utility and your backup files and you can do restores.
This is also already implemented, and in fact is available since v4. Our product comes with the extract.exe that is doing exactly this. Please refer to the User's Guide for more information on syntax and usage.