Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
glennda
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Toby Glenn

Feature recommendation

Post by glennda »

I have recently noticed and not sure if this has already been fixed in Veeam 7 (in which case ignore this!).

That with Veeam 6.5.0.144 if you have 2 jobs (say Job A and Job B). Job A is set to run at 9pm and has a few servers in it. Job B is set to run when Job A finishes (for example a replication after a backup). If you remove Job A for any reason then Job B just sits as unscheduled.

I think it would be better for it to force you to change Job B to an alternative schedule or remove it completely before it allows you to remove Job A and potentially when you want to disable a job also.

It is just something I hadn't thought about and only just noticed that replication for 5 or 6 servers hadn't been running for around a month because the backup jobs were consolidated and the original job removed.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Feature recommendation

Post by foggy »

This is one more argument against chaining jobs, but using max concurrent number of tasks assigned to proxy/repository servers instead.
glennda
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Toby Glenn

Post by glennda »

foggy wrote:This is one more argument against chaining jobs, but using max concurrent number of tasks assigned to proxy/repository servers instead.
I only do this if I require to backup a server and then replicate it afterwards - don't want both jobs to be sitting at the same time.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6724 times

Post by Gostev » 2 people like this post

We are planning to enable replication from backups in the next release, so I guess this should render this feature request unnecessary.
dellock6
VeeaMVP
Liked: 1932 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 »

This is indeed a nice feature to have! So, as backup copy already does, there will be only one read activity from production storage. Great!

Luca.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1