Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
m.levisson
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Magnus Levisson

Feature req: Search for files in BackupCopy jobs in EntMgr.

Post by m.levisson »

Hi,

We're using Veeam Enterprise Manager, Enterprise plus edition, when we're restoring files and objects. However, I've noticed that searching for older files is a bit tricky.
I would like a function to be able to search for files within BackupCopy jobs of an indexed VM.

Example:
Server1 has indexing enabled and has a retention time of 10 years. When using the search option here, you can only find files that are located in the regular Veeam Backup jobs, not the backup copy jobs.

A solution as I understand it is to use the "Guest File System Catalog" option and choose the number of months to keep track of the indexing of the servers. That way you would be able to search for files no longer present in the backup jobs and get a good insight of what restore point you would have to mount.

But, according to the support there is a cap of 99 months to this option, which is not enough for some of our servers where we need 10 years retention. We would need this value to be able to be changed to 120 months but then again, that would likely take up a lot of space on disk.

Instead, if possible, we would like Veeam Enterprise manager to be able to search for files within all available restore points. Or at least have an option to search for files within the chosen restore point.
Is this something that would be at all possible in a future release? Or is there some other type of workaround that I haven't found yet?

I've had a case regarding this with case no 02466656.

BR
Magnus L
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Feature req: Search for files in BackupCopy jobs in EntM

Post by foggy »

Hi Magnus, as far as I remember, EM does perform search in backup copy job restore points, but as long as the original backup ("source" backup job restore point) is present, the search is performed there (anyway, the backup copy job contains the same state of the same files).