Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
skrause
Veteran
Liked: 106 times
Full Name: Steve Krause

Feature Request: Backup job "templates"

Post by skrause »

Hello,

Last year at VeeamON I had a couple suggestions that all the SE's told me I should post on the forums. Well I was lazy and neglected to do so and now have forgotten what they were.

So this year I promised myself I would post anything I thought up on the forums.

Basically, I would like the ability to have (somewhat like in VMware) a few templates for creating new backup jobs where some of the settings can be saved. We have internal documentation on what the settings are supposed to be depending on what retention tier the VMs in the job fall into already but we would love to be able to start from a template where Retention period, Incremental Mode, Full backup options, Compression/Dedupe, Application Aware settings, and maybe even schedule could be pre-set. Then all we would have to do is choose the VMs, set the repository location, and verify the schedule at creation time.

Thanks!
Steve Krause
Veeam Certified Architect
dellock6
VeeaMVP
Liked: 1932 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Re: Feature Request: Backup job "templates"

Post by dellock6 »

Have you tried the option to clone an existing backup job?
http://helpcenter.veeam.com/backup/80/e ... _jobs.html
The goal of this feature is exactly to use existing jobs as templates for new jobs.

Luca
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
skrause
Veteran
Liked: 106 times
Full Name: Steve Krause

Post by skrause »

Cloning works ok, but I had a bad experience with it when cloning tape jobs where it seems to look at the history of the cloned job to decide what to process (I know that they fixed my tape issues in v9 so that reason is moot now.)

I guess I could make template jobs and clone those. I never really thought of it in that fashion.

Having an option to create a new backup job "from template" might be more "intuitive" depending on user preference.

-Steve
Steve Krause
Veeam Certified Architect
pshute
Veteran
Liked: 14 times
Full Name: Peter Shute

Post by pshute »

I thought I'd add to this thread rather than create a new one, as it seems relevant to my question.

Is there any concept in Veeam similar to Backups Exec's "Selection Sets"? Or is job cloning the closest thing?

I'd like to create two tape jobs to backup exactly the same stuff. Job cloning will do this, but it won't keep the two jobs the same if I later add or remove things from the jobs. Is there any way to do that other than making sure I make the same changes?

Finally, are cloned jobs completely independent of each other? The link above hints that they aren't: "For example, you cannot change the backup repository and backup proxies used for the job or define advanced job settings."
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6702 times

Post by Gostev »

Enterprise Manager web UI kind of uses this paradigm, Peter - only providing users ability to edits job settings that make sense to give application owners to control. Check it out, and let us know what you think, as it will be easy to improve if needed.