Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
gggggggg
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: greg

Feature Request - Check Required Space Is Available

Post by gggggggg »

Feature Request Please.

I have a 14TB server (20TB allocated, 14TB used), and a Scale-Out Repo of 100TB, divided up 60TB and 40TB. They both have 8TB and 9TB free, the Full backup keeps selecting the 9TB drive to use in the scale-out repo, and gets 24 hours in, works out the disk is full, fails, deletes the 9TB, and fails.

I can accept that at least in v1 of Scaleout being a new feature that it is not going to divide a single backup over the two drives. But my issues is that it even starts in the first place.

I know with different compression options people might be using, 9TB free might be enough to store 14TB, but is there some estimate (even based on previous backup data) that can be made thats user configurable to not even start the backup if the drive is too full.

thanks
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Feature Request - Check Required Space Is Available

Post by foggy »

Hi Greg, there's of course a space estimation mechanism that analyzes the available space and predictable backup size, however, since it is just an estimation, it is not 100% accurate. Do you have compression enabled in this job?
EugeneK
Veeam Software
Liked: 43 times
Full Name: Eugene Kashperovetskyi

Post by EugeneK »

The estimate even based on historical data wouldn't necessarily reflect the actual requirements: if VBK used 10TB day X, doesn't mean it will use the same or even about the same amount of space for day Y.
What may work is a Warning trigger in Veeam which does the estimate like that after it finishes the run, and based on the estimate warn the user that the next run may fail because on Day X, Z and U the backup wouldn't fit into remaining space, if all conditions remain the same. Doesn't have to be at the end of job run, can also be a routine scan of data, much like 15 min infrastructure rescan task.
Eugene K
VMCA, VCIX-DCV, vExpert
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Current estimation algorithm can indeed be improved in many ways, and we'll definitely consider ability for improvements once we see the demand.