Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Peejay62
Expert
Liked: 37 times
Full Name: Peter Jansen

feature request: Description for restore point

Post by Peejay62 »

Hi,

we have some backupjobs that do not run scheduled but on demand only. The job is run with special intentions, for example creating a backuppoint before a major upgrade.(such a job can have 12 restorepoint for example). Nowadays we add some needed comment in the job comment field describing a restorepoint that is taken. What I would like to see though is the ability to add comment to a restorepoint. So either by gui or powershell it is easy to identify the restorepoint and what status that restorepoint reflects. What I mean, when you perform a restore, let's say by gui, at the Restore point selections you see the comment for a restorepoint, making it easy for you to select the proper one. Would be much more easy to select a specific restorepoint needed in case of a recovery. Makes any sense?

Thanks, Peter
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Re: feature request: Description for restore point

Post by PTide »

Hi Peter,

I assume that you don't start those jobs frequently, right?

If so, then every time you need to create Special Restore Point you could just rename your Backup Job into "Restore Point Description-example". That would result in a new .vib or .vbk file named "Restore Point Description-example backup date" which is still usable. When you need to restore your machine at some Special Point you just browse your backup repo for that special file and choose it.

Thank you.
Peejay62
Expert

Post by Peejay62 »

Hi,

thanks for your suggestion. I once tried that. Just to be sure I just did a trial run again. What happens: the job runs reverse incremental. In the backupchain the new vbk file has the original jobname, the latest vrb file received the name of the new jobname. So, the previous backupversion carries the name of the backup it's supposed to be..(looking inside the directory for the backup). I don't know if this imo weird behaviour is a bug or works by design this way. Honest, I haven't paid any attention to that way of using the job for versioning as it is not practical in our case.
Furthermore, if you select a point for restore in the full vm restore wizard, i again cannot identify a restorepoint, only on date.
So this will not work in our case.

Thanks, Peter
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

Ok, I see...

Have you tried using Job Description? You can have a bunch of separate, manually driven jobs for those special days. I mean 1 Job per Special Day =)

or even better - use 1 Job, just add another line into the description field each time you do a manual backup:

Code: Select all

June 16, 3:00 pm - DC1/2008R2 update
July 1, 2:00 am - I wonder what that red button do...
Peejay62
Expert

Post by Peejay62 »

Job description is what I use now, exactly as you mention.. This is more an administrative way of doing things. Not foolproof either.. Also not that handy for end-users if you want to let them perform tasks like recovering their own servers. If there just was a "restorepoint-description" it would make things easier.
Thanks for thinking along with me. I hope Veaam r&d will think along and evaluate the possibility of my request.

Thanks, Peter
ben.nakagawa
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Ben Nakagawa

[MERGED]: Feature request: Add comment to backup

Post by ben.nakagawa »

Could I add user comment to back up point?
Especially for ad hock backup between the scheduled one. Say "before upgrade xxx software to version y" for instance.
I can easily pick the point of backup based on comment.

Ben
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

Hi Ben,

Unfortunately there is no such option. Please review the thread for possible workarounds.

Thank you.
ricardo.simoes
Influencer
Liked: 3 times

Post by ricardo.simoes »

It would be an excellent innovation and functionality to be able to add comments to restore points. Someone has a workaround?.
Tks
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Thanks for the feedback. Possible workarounds are mentioned above.