Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Zach123
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: zaki khan

Feature request : Enable / Disable "Per-VM Backup" on Tenant Level

Post by Zach123 »

Hi Team

We are backing up the SQL Windows failover cluster using the Veeam agent. We noticed that the copy job to the cloud repository backups up the shared disk twice as it maintains an independent copy of the shared disks associated with each node. This is resulting in backing up the same disk twice and hence additional disk space that the tenant is not ready to pay for.

This is due to the per-VM backup enabled on the repository for the target copy job. Source repository has "Per-VM backup" disabled."

Discussed more in the post below.
physical-cloud-f49/hyper-v-backup-backi ... 62327.html

Now, when checked with the cloud vendor, they confirmed that "Per-VM Backup" is a repository-wide setting and we ( Tenant ) are hosted in a shared environment and thus this can't be enabled without affecting all other tenants. Creating a separate repository is not an option as per the vendor.

Whether enabling "Per-VM backup" on the tenant level rather than the repository level a feasible feature request.

What are the other options we have? What if we perform the backup of just one of the nodes of the cluster provided failover does not happen frequently.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Feature request : Enable / Disable "Per-VM Backup" on Tenant Level

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
your cloud service provider is correct when saying that "per-vm backup" is a repository setting.

What I do not understand: if you are really using the Veeam Agent for Windows (you posted in the Hyper-V forum) and you have a shared disk (no SQL always ON shared nothing)... then there is no independent copy of the shared disk. It will be backed up only once.

Can you please describe your setup more in detail?

If you really see independent copies of a shared disk with Veeam Agent for Windows, then please open a case and post the case number here for reference

Best regards,
Hannes
Zach123
Enthusiast

Post by Zach123 »

Hi Hannes

Thanks for the response. I initially posted the issue under the forum link

physical-cloud-f49/hyper-v-backup-backi ... 62327.html

Where I got the response that

"The deal is that whenever per-VM chain is enabled on the repository where you land backup copy job, it will store the shared disk within every node. You can disable per-VM backup chain option to store all nodes within a single backup, in such case shared disk will be stored only once"

Am I misunderstanding it?
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
ah, sorry about that. Yes, you are right... the backup copy job "fully" implements "per-vm chains"... so you have more storage used for BCJ than for the backup job.

So the request makes sense for me now. On the other hand, it might be better to change the BCJ behavior to save disk space.

Sorry,
Hannes
Zach123
Enthusiast

Post by Zach123 »

Hi HannesK

Thanks for confirming the same. I anyways opened a support case (03931456).

Would this be accepted as a valid feature request? Do I have to do anything apart from posting the request here?
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
yes, we noted it as request. No need to do anything else (the forum is the official way to ask for new features)

Best regards,
Hannes