Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
msullivan@csa1.com
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Matt Sullivan

Feature Request - Exclusions

Post by msullivan@csa1.com »

Hello
Is there a way to set exclusions with a wild card?
For example, we have our jobs setup by HOST, and I would like to exclude any vms named *test*. I can edit each job and search full hierachy for test, and it pulls up any vms with test in the name, and I can add vms to the Exclusions.
But, anytime a user creates a new vm , 'test-xxx', I have to manually edit each job and add the vm.

ALSO, we are about convert our infrastructure over to Nutanix, each host will run a Controller vm in vsphere, and Nutanix has warned us to never edit or backup this vm in any way.
So, I'm hoping there is a way to set a global exclusion, based on the name of the vm, because someone will create a new job & neglect to exclude these vms at some point and cause issues.
dellock6
VeeaMVP
Liked: 1932 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Re: Feature Request - Exclusions

Post by dellock6 » 1 person likes this post

Hi,
you can use dynamic containers for exclusions. You can place for example all the VMs you want to exclude in a VM folder into vCenter, or even better if multiple VMs needs to be excluded from different jobs, use vSphere tags. The advantage over folders is that you can use multiple tags at the same time. We just published a paper you may find useful:
http://www.veeam.com/wp-advanced-policy ... -tags.html

Luca
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
electricd7
Expert
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Chad Killion

[MERGED] FEATURE REQUEST: Global Exclusions

Post by electricd7 »

I have requested this in the past, but it would be great for me to be able to define a list of VMs in an interface that would be globally excluded from any job in which they would appear. We have several places where we backup by datastore and then a user will go in behind us and storage vmotion a machine from one datastore to another. When this is done, the exclusion doesn't appear in the new datastore for that VM and so it gets backed up. I am considering writing a powershell script that keys off of a text file that will remove all exclusions from all jobs, and then re-add the Vms which appear in the text file for all jobs once a day to get around this but would really like to see this as a feature of Veeam.

Chad
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Chad, haven't you considered using vSphere tags for that? Seems like the perfect instrument for this case.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

And in order to automatically assign vSphere Tags you can use Veeam ONE Free edition. This will allow you to avoid mistakes in VM categorization.