Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
LucasR
Lurker
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Lucas Robarts

Feature Request : File level restores - mount server options

Post by LucasR » 1 person likes this post

Depending on location of file restore, I notice that if you choose alternate location (copy to) rather than original location (keep / overwrite) then the mount server is the backup server or veeam console running the restore, as listed in the guide here: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... tml?ver=95

In our case, with a centralised backup server, restoring a large volume of files to a remote site (with a local site backup repo) as the mount server is the console, in central site, as apposed to the mount server on the local site, the file restore is effectively over the WAN (backup repository > central veeam server mount > site server alt location)

This meant restoring 10GB would take many hours, however I used a workaround by starting a restore of 1 file to original location (keep), left the Veeam file explorer open, then on the local site mount server, used robocopy to copy out the data from the Veeam mount (in a couple of minutes, not hours)

Can we have the option to choose the mount server during restore (copy to) option, to allow the restore to be processed locally, in the same manner as a restore to original location ??

Regards
Lucas
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Feature Request : File level restores - mount server opt

Post by foggy »

Hi Lucas, you're correct that with the Copy To option, the backup is mounted to the server initiating the restore (console or backup server). It is supposed that your restore target is in the same location where you're starting the restore process from, so as a workaround, you can install a remote console and perform restores from there.
LucasR
Lurker
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Lucas Robarts

Post by LucasR »

Hello Foggy, I appreciate the quick response.

Does your reply mean that it is not going to be a feature for consideration into the file explorer ? and that instead I either use my current workaround, or install the console on site ?

I ask as in our case we are managing 10+ remote sites and growing. I could go and install the veeam console in some cases, but it seems this could be a very easy addition to the restore option, seeing as the mount server is already there, and the required veeam components ?

Regards
Lucas
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

We're going to change the behavior to using a mount server in all cases in one of the future updates.