Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
m.novelli
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 90 times
Full Name: Marco Novelli

Feature Request: format rotated drive on Backup Copy Job

Post by m.novelli »

Hi, I frequently use RDX drives https://www.tandbergdata.com/us/index.c ... -quikstor/ as rotated media for Backup Copy Jobs to implement Rule 3 2 1

The cartridges are generally swapped by non-IT personnel. I would like a feature in Backup Copy Job to format RDX drives when Veeam detect they have been rotated, since I get frequently issues during merge due to slowness of the drive / disk full / various issues

Thanks

Marco
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Feature Request: format rotated drive on Backup Copy Job

Post by Mildur »

The problem is, Veeam will not remove Restore Points from rotated drives until a new one exists on them and the retention settings allowes it to remove the Restore Point.
I know, there is a registry setting to remove the backup chain from the disk before a new backup was successful. I will never use that :-) What if Backup Copy is not successfull and the only backup copy chain I have is removed before a new backup copy was done?

If you need a disk format, why not starting a Job Script before the backup copy job starts?
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=110
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Hi Marco, just in case you consider using the mentioned registry value acceptable: please review this KB for details.
m.novelli
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 90 times
Full Name: Marco Novelli

Post by m.novelli »

Mildur wrote: May 17, 2021 8:31 am The problem is, Veeam will not remove Restore Points from rotated drives until a new one exists on them and the retention settings allowes it to remove the Restore Point.
That's the problem
I know, there is a registry setting to remove the backup chain from the disk before a new backup was successful. I will never use that :-) What if Backup Copy is not successfull and the only backup copy chain I have is removed before a new backup copy was done?
Yes, the registry setting is dumb since applies to all repository and not only to backup copy job repository
If you need a disk format, why not starting a Job Script before the backup copy job starts?
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=110
Would be easier and elegant implemented by Veeam :roll:

Marco
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Post by Gostev »

m.novelli wrote: May 17, 2021 2:08 pmYes, the registry setting is dumb since applies to all repository and not only to backup copy job repository
@Egor Yakovlev btw here's another benefit of the change we discussed recently: repository-level granularity of the behavior.
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 683 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Totally agree.
We are working on improvement for this request.