Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
loop
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Clint

Feature request - Full backup frequency

Post by loop »

Your product is fantastic, we are extremely pleased and highly recommend it!

One thing we really hope is in version 5 and if not perhaps you would consider it in futre is to have more control over the frequency of full backups.

We have some large VMs - 660GB each - less than 1GB of changes per day and a requirement to keep up to one year of changes. I configured the backup to keep 365 rollback points, one per day - but I am a little worried about not having any other full backup for the year. As the options are at present, I can include a full backup on any weekday once per week - but I do not have enough storage to keep 52 full copies for the year - it would be great if a full backup per month or per quarter was an option....

Wonderful product, looking forward to version 5 and what it has in store.

Clint
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Feature request - Full backup frequency

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Clint,

Yes, the upcoming v5 release will have a monthly full backup option. Thanks for the feedback!
ptmartin
Enthusiast
Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Paul Martin

Post by ptmartin »

Vitaliy S. wrote:Hello Clint,

Yes, the upcoming v5 release will have a monthly full backup option. Thanks for the feedback!
I am using version 5 but to add to this request, it NEEDS to have the ability to select the "first day" or "last day" of the month or year rather than simply a day of the week. Only if the months and years ended on the same day of the week would the options that are currently included work. As an example, the software allows you to create a backup for the last Wednesday of the year but should instead allow you to select the last DAY of the year regardless of the day of the week.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6699 times

Post by Gostev »

Well, there is no way to tell in advance if "first day" or "last day" of each month will be business day. Effectivey this will result in full backups kicking in during work week, and running into the next business day causing production issues (it is not uncommon for full backups to take 1-2 days in larger environments). I am having hard times understanding how I would use it... may be this is why this was never requested before in 3 years.

But, keep in mind that you can always initiate full backup on any job from command line, and schedule this script with Windows Task Scheduler using any sort of special/unusual schedule you may have a need for.
ptmartin
Enthusiast

Post by ptmartin »

Seriously - who cares if it is a business day if what you are trying to capture is data specific to a time period (ie Monthly or Annual). In 12 years I've used this feature in other products QUITE frequently. Backup Exec has had this for years since it was owned by Seagate if memory serves me correctly. If your environment does not allow a long enough time window - then simply don't use this selection. This software isn't advertised to be specific to only large-scale customers so allowing these options seems fairly obvious I had thought.
ptmartin
Enthusiast

Post by ptmartin »

BackupExec also includes the ability to conditionally run backups so that if a month-end backup was running, a daily backup of the same machine would not kick off. I'm not saying they did everything right or I would still be using that software. I'm just saying that it would be a nice feature to include at some future point in this software as well.

As for Task Scheduler ... I had my fill of that using vRanger prior to version 4. Thankfully they dropped that requirement in the current DPP release. I had purchased Veeam as a replacement for vRanger so I have no desire to go back in time from that perspective. I have bene running both softwares simultaneously because I had purchased 3-years of vRanger and had a large enough time window. I like certain features of each but nothing seems to be all inclusive yet. I have high hopes that Veeam can add these abilities without much trouble and the awesome features that initially caught my attention and turned me on to Veeam would only be complimented if the software were enhanced with these capabilities.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6699 times

Post by Gostev »

Sounds good :) I will talk to devs about it. I already figured out a way to implement this from UI standpoint with little changes required...
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Post by tsightler » 1 person likes this post

It would be really nice if you could build synthetic fulls on the "first" or "last" of the month for archive purposes.
ctchang
Expert
Liked: 1 time

Post by ctchang »

tsightler wrote:It would be really nice if you could build synthetic fulls on the "first" or "last" of the month for archive purposes.
This is exactly what I am looking for as well.

I am doing forward incremental and do need synthetic fulls every month only, but not the default every week.
m.novelli
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 89 times
Full Name: Marco Novelli

Post by m.novelli »

Hello, I'm adding myself to the list. I need the option "perform full backup last day of the month" for tape archiving purpose
Thanks

Marco
ptmartin
Enthusiast

Post by ptmartin »

Still does not apper as though this capability made it into the Veeam B&R software. Just saying .... I still need it! - Thanks :cry:
ptmartin
Enthusiast

Post by ptmartin »

ctchang wrote: This is exactly what I am looking for as well.

I am doing forward incremental and do need synthetic fulls every month only, but not the default every week.
I had requested this some time ago but still have not seen it yet ... B&R needs to have the ability to select the "first day" or "last day" of the month or the "first day" or "last day" of the year rather than simply a day of the week for long-term archive storage or transfer to tape. Thanks!

- Paul