Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
icoleman_uk
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Iain Coleman

Feature Request - Improvement to "Quick Migration"

Post by icoleman_uk »

Hi,

There are two things I have found that could be improved when using the Quick Migration function.

1. Please add the ability to choose the network for the destination VM location.
2. The "Delete source VM" option should be DISABLED by default, not enabled.

Thank you.

-Iain.
Alex Uryumtsev
Enthusiast
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Alexander Uryumtsev

Re: Feature Request - Improvement to "Quick Migration"

Post by Alex Uryumtsev »

Hi Iain,

Thank you for your feedback and concern about our product.
1. Please add the ability to choose the network for the destination VM location.
For that point I agree, so bare in mind that your feature request is taken into account.
2. The "Delete source VM" option should be DISABLED by default, not enabled.
For the second suggestion I don't agree that it is needed to be changed. Can you provide me the use case when you have thought that it is supposed to be Disabled by default? In my opinion the general intention of "Quick Migration" function is to move a VM from one place to another. Hence it would be counterintuitive to leave it on the source side by default.

BR,
AU
icoleman_uk
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Iain Coleman

Post by icoleman_uk »

Hi,

I've always thought that any delete options should be disabled by default to avoid accidents however I do have a specific reason for this.

I migrated a VM using this option some time ago and found that although the VM booted and satisfied Veeam that the migration was successful, some of the data was corrupted after the migration meaning that if I had not remembered to uncheck the "Delete source VM" option we would have had to restore from backup. I always try to remember to uncheck that option but have forgotten on occasion. I think it would be better for the original VM to remain and be deleted manually if someone forgets to change that option rather than risk having the original VM deleted in case of a partial failure during the migration process.
Alex Uryumtsev
Enthusiast
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Alexander Uryumtsev

Post by Alex Uryumtsev »

Alright, I see. That makes sense for your case.

Nevertheless, the most popular use case during "Quick Migration" is to migrate VM and keep one instance of VM.

In the worst scenario, once data corruption has occurred you can apply "Instant Recovery".

If you have any questions left, please let me know.

--au