Feature request: Make scale out repo what I hoped it was!

Availability for the Always-On Enterprise

Re: Feature request: Make scale out repo what I hoped it was

Veeam Logoby kkuszek » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:43 pm

That's exactly the use case SOBR should fill most and what I think the general expectation is for it to perform. If that's not a good reason, it should be.
kkuszek
Enthusiast

Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Kurt Kuszek

Veeam Logoby fraack » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:33 pm

kkuszek wrote:It sounds less like it's broken as in support and more like it's just broken as designed.)

I can not agree with your statement. I openend a ticket to get this Reg Key today (Case # 02077476). I got a response within 5 minutes with the desired key! So thumbs up to Veeam Support.

I hope it is ok that I share the Reg Key for repository limits in this post.

There is the registry key:
Code: Select all
SobrReserveExtentSpacePercent
- Type: REG_DWORD
- Default value: 1 (percent)
- Description: defines the amount of free space reserved on the extents of SOBR, e.g. for merge (% of total extent size).

This solved my problem
fraack
Certified Trainer

Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Florian Raack

Veeam Logoby kkuszek » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:49 pm

Oh I am sorry if you misinterpreted my comment as there being support issues. I was saying the contrary. Support is great and responsive, but the other posts indicating discussion with support and detail on how it functioned made me believe it wasn't a support incident as something was broken but more a design limitation.
See the multiple users on page 1 with independent examples of space limitations and SOBR allowing backups to fail with free space errors.

That registry key looks like it only controls a specific sobr, but not regular repositories?
Where in the registry is that? I found nothing in a search.
kkuszek
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby kkuszek » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:53 pm

posting.php?mode=quote&f=2&p=188883

foggy wrote: data locality policy is not that strict and should place the backup on another extent if it has available space. There's an issue, however, where if there's not enough space to even update metadata file, the job will fail and chances are you're experiencing right this one. I recommend re-opening the case and escalating it to a higher tier for a closer investigation.

In this instance if the metadata is stored on the primary repository, and there is no free space percent registry key for the primary repository, then when the backups completely fill the primary repository having no space available for metadata it is guaranteed to fail.

Would that be correct?
kkuszek
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby fraack » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:55 pm

You have to add this value into the Reg Key: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Veeam\Veeam Backup and Replication\
If this value is not there you have to create it by your own. If it is done you have to restart your VBR service.

It describes the free space reserved on each SOBR extent in percent.
fraack
Certified Trainer

Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Florian Raack

Veeam Logoby Delo123 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:18 am

Splitting VBK's in chunks, yes!
Delo123
Expert

Liked: 82 times
Full Name: Guido Meijers

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:01 pm 1 person likes this post

@Guido funny you should mention - the feature I thought we would [realistically] never get to any time soon, however recently it came to my attention that we've started building this functionality into the data mover for another product to use in a somewhat isolated manner, so the chances to see it in B&R have vastly improved now ;) although this won't be a simple "drop and go", as in case of B&R it would require the complete retest of virtually all product functionality - which is a truly massive undertaking considering the amount of dependencies.

Most people want it for Windows Server dedupe though, not for SOBR.
Gostev
VP, Product Management

Liked: 2248 times
Full Name: Anton Gostev

Veeam Logoby rnelson0 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:20 pm

I'd like to add my support for SOBR getting a little smarter. I had a mono-chain (the repo was updated to do per-VMs but of course when there's an existing chain it kept using it) and the drive filled up too fast to catch things in time. With the job filled all the way, I attempted to use a SOBR with a second LUN twice the size of the original. Should be plenty of room! Except it failed saying that there was no more room where the current full was. In the end, I copied the job and start a new per-vm-chain, since that was also an issue, but SOBR didn't "just work" the way I expected based on the description, regardless.

I do not know what the real fix should be, but I can say that I expected Veeam to maybe start a new chain on the new repo since the other was full, rather than just throwing its hands up in the air for every VM. While it would have used up more disk space until retention cleaned up the old fulls, at least it would have gracefully recovered from a full disk and required less human intervention.
rnelson0
Influencer

Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Rob Nelson

Veeam Logoby Delo123 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:57 pm

so the chances to see it in B&R have vastly improved now

Anton! Somehow i missed your post, but wow! I understand it isn't an easy task but as you say it could have quite some advantages, very cool your even looking at that ;) Cheers!
Delo123
Expert

Liked: 82 times
Full Name: Guido Meijers

Previous

Return to Veeam Backup & Replication