Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
jc33
Lurker
Liked: never

Feature Request: managing credentials for guest processing when using tag-based backup job

Post by jc33 »

Hello everyone,

New Veeam customer over here.

I am buiding Backup,copy job, etc with the help of vsphere tags.

tags have been created and relate to VM type ( sharepoint, business critical,share file,DBs) and used for specific retention. Ok now, all we have to do is link a VM to a tag and it will be backed up to the correct job.

But, when the job uses Guest processing and/or application-aware processing, and VMs inside a tags have different credentials, then...I can't find any way to specify credentials for those VMs other than add the VM manually to the job.

It would be awesome to expand the tag in the job, see VMs included and specify other credentials for specific Vms.

What do you think about it ?

Have a great day !

JC
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Feature Request: managing credentials for guest processing when using tag-based backup job

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
that's already possible today: just add the VMs where you need special credentials again to the job. Then you can set application aware processing credentials per VM.

The VMs will be backed up only once. It's fine to add them to a job twice.

Best regards,
Hannes
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Re: Feature Request: managing credentials for guest processing when using tag-based backup job

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

It is better not to add them to the actual job twice, but rather specify in the advanced application-aware processing settings: add them there explicitly and specify their credentials.
jc33
Lurker
Liked: never

Post by jc33 »

Awesome !

Thank you both for your answer ! :) I will do that.

But it would be much user friendly, in my opinion, to expand the tag and choose the VMs directly instead of adding them once more ;)
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Post by Gostev »

Such "tag drill down" approach would create a tag-dependency that will break when some VM will lose the corresponding tag sometimes in the future. So one way or another, for long-term backup reliability it is safer to pull VMs into the list explicitly.