Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
BartP
Veeam Software
Liked: 62 times
Full Name: Bart Pellegrino

Feature request: Quick Full backup

Post by BartP » 2 people like this post

Simple; have a feature just like Quick Backup, but instead of an incremental it runs an Active Full for 1 or more VM's.

The reason why i'm asking is:
It's best practice, not to make a job per VM. If we want to have a dynamic selection for our backup jobs, we use Tags or Host/VMM/vCenter to automatically add VM's.
In practice, we always work with Per-VM backup files to increase speed and lower impact when a file goes corrupt (or something), or maybe just because support requests to run an active full backup.
When i have 30 server in a backup job and i need to run a full backup on 1 of those VM's, due <insert reason here>. I can either run a full backup on all VM's, or reconfigure jobs and spend a lot more time than necessary.
I know best practice is to have enough free space to be able to run such an active full, but in reality customers often have little space left because of.... i don't know, but it's true :wink:
Bart Pellegrino,
Technical Account Manager - EMEA
gorka
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Gorka Izquierdo Bizkarrondo

Re: Feature request: Quick Full backup

Post by gorka »

I think it's a great feature to add in a next version of veeam.
Regards
stevenrodenburg1
Expert
Liked: 20 times
Full Name: Steven Rodenburg

Post by stevenrodenburg1 »

"or reconfigure jobs and spend a lot more time than necessary"

You don't need to. Leave the existing job alone.
When you need an "unexpected full backup" of a specific VM, or group of VM's, quickly make a new job (which is just a couple of clicks anyway) and viola, done. No need to schedule it or anything.
Benefits: You also end up with a separate backup-file (which can be sent/copied) and the original backup-chain is not affected in any way.
Afterwards, deleting the temporary job is 2 clicks.
BartP
Veeam Software

Post by BartP »

The thing is, that i do need to have the change affect the original backup chain.
A quick full would work for all backup methods, not only forward incremental with a full and with per-vm backup chain.
i.e. A Reversed chain would have their previous restore points bound to another full backup file. Which you cannot delete without affecting the whole chain.
It's all about the metadata file...
The chance itself can be rather simple because It's possible to do a quick incremental;
The command needs an extra argument to pass the "make full" option, the rest of the code is there. Then change the chain mechanism, just as when you do an active full on a backup copy (for that VM file chain).

/lazy mode: Make a 2nd job, import the ,vbm. Go to original job, map the full (without considering all limitations). Vs <Right Click> and a <left click>, for all job types. :mrgreen:
Bart Pellegrino,
stevenrodenburg1
Expert
Liked: 20 times
Full Name: Steven Rodenburg

Post by stevenrodenburg1 »

"The thing is, that i do need to have the change affect the original backup chain."

Why?

In your original post, you give the impression that you want to make a full backup, of one particular VM, for support-purposes.
A "new fresh full" (my proposal) is just as good as a "quick full" which, by all means, is also a new full (block wise).

Architecturally speaking, I don't think this is a feature that is easy to add to any backup-product. Full backup files are different than incremental type files. If one would make a full backup, inside, what is actually an incremental file, what would that look like? You essentially start a new chain for that one VM, while all the others in the same file-structure remain in the "old" chain.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

stevenrodenburg1 wrote:In your original post, you give the impression that you want to make a full backup, of one particular VM, for support-purposes.
And there's VeeamZIP right for this purpose.
BartP
Veeam Software

Post by BartP »

I'm unsure who you are replying to Foggy.
Bart Pellegrino,
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

It was just a general note that if your use case implies getting a standalone full backup, then there's a VeeamZIP for this purpose. If you have reasons for it to be a part of the chain, please share.
ToddMenefee
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Todd Menefee

Post by ToddMenefee » 1 person likes this post

I also would like the ability to perform a QUICK FULL BACKUP. Use case: Adding a new VM to a job and want to take an immediate backup.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Hi Todd, thanks, this case makes sense, however, VeeamZIP still can be a sort of workaround.
lowlander
Service Provider
Liked: 30 times

Post by lowlander »

According to full backups and quickbackup I vote +1, however.....

Keep in mind that storage integration does nog work with quick backup. That would be another nice feature request, when having to backup large vms on demand :)

Thanks
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

Adding a new VM to a job and want to take an immediate backup.
+1. I got exactly the same request from a customer some weeks ago. VeeamZip is the workaround, yes.
ferrus
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 43 times

Post by ferrus »

+1 here
For SQL backups, mainly.

I'm not a SQL expert, but our DBA's frequently ask us to take a Full Backup of a single VM.
I think this resets a flag in SQL and truncates the logs.

As it stands, we have to take a Full Backup of the entire job - which has a performance/storage hit.
System32
Influencer
Liked: never

Post by System32 »

+1 for this request. I would like to have this feature as well.