Feature Request: Quota for SOBR extends and repositories

Availability for the Always-On Enterprise

Feature Request: Quota for SOBR extends and repositories

Veeam Logoby timmi2704 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:08 pm

Hey Veeam,

here is a request for a feature which might be useful in some situations:
For SOBR extends I'd really like to have something like a quota setting option --> If a certain percentage of disk usage is reached, or a specified amount of free space is left, Veeam should stop writing to that extend and use another one instead.
In my case it would be useful, because SOBR extends on deduplication appliances shares prevent write access at a certain level of disk usage (In order to keep some working space for deduplication appliances volume maintenance).
This leads to some problems with backup jobs.

Apart of that, it could be useful if you need to create more than one repository/extend on a single volume. That sounds irrelevant, but it might be necessary, if you want to use backup copy jobs for backup point retention for example.

Thanks for having a look at that :)
Have a nice weekend!
timmi2704
Enthusiast

Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Timo

Re: Feature Request: Quota for SOBR extends and repositories

Veeam Logoby Shestakov » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:31 pm

Hi Timo,
Thanks for the request. Veeam B&R will stop using extent and switch to another one if the first one is full. What percentage would you use in your case?
By the way, you can use VeeamONE alarms to be notified if backup repository is getting full.
Thanks!
Shestakov
Veeam Software

Liked: 394 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Veeam Logoby jmmarton » Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:54 pm

timmi2704 wrote:Apart of that, it could be useful if you need to create more than one repository/extend on a single volume. That sounds irrelevant, but it might be necessary, if you want to use backup copy jobs for backup point retention for example.

There are ways to essentially accomplish this today. For example, if you are using a Windows repository just create multiple folders and make each folder a separate backup repo. Or if you're using a deduplication appliance, create multiple shares off the same appliance.

Joe
jmmarton
Veeam Software

Liked: 89 times
Full Name: Joe Marton

Veeam Logoby timmi2704 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:53 pm

Shestakov wrote:Veeam B&R will stop using extent and switch to another one if the first one is full. What percentage would you use in your case?
By the way, you can use VeeamONE alarms to be notified if backup repository is getting full.

Veeam will use another extend, if it is recognized as full. Our deduplication appliance prevents write access although there are several hundred GB free space left. So this mechanism doesn't work unfortunately. My percentage or a fixed value would be set in a way that would prevent that behaviour. :)

jmmarton wrote:There are ways to essentially accomplish this today. For example, if you are using a Windows repository just create multiple folders and make each folder a separate backup repo. Or if you're using a deduplication appliance, create multiple shares off the same appliance.

This would allow the creation of different repositories on the same devices, indeed. But still there would be a fight for free space. I'm not sure, whether NTFS disk quota can manage that, but I'd rather refrain from that. :|
timmi2704
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby Shestakov » Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:46 pm

Timo,
What kind of repository does show wrong results?
Could you contact Veeam support to investigate the issue?
Thanks!
Shestakov
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby timmi2704 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:39 am

Veeam support is involved (01832709 and 01834133) and they recommended to ask for a feature request here.
The repository itself does not show a wrong result. There really are several hundred GB of free space, but the only operations allowed are file delete operations if the free available space is below a certain threshold.
I'm talking about Quantum deduplication appliances.
timmi2704
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby dellock6 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:54 am

I still don't get this initial statement from you :

timmi2704 wrote: SOBR extends on deduplication appliances shares prevent write access at a certain level of disk usage (In order to keep some working space for deduplication appliances volume maintenance)!

Quantum has no native integration with Veeam as datadomain or storeonce, so even if we had such a protection in the software, it would not apply to the quantum, as it would be seen as a regular smb share.
Where did you get this statement from?
Luca Dell'Oca
EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
http://www.virtualtothecore.com
vExpert 2011-2012-2013-2014-2015-2016
Veeam VMCE #1
dellock6
Veeam Software

Liked: 1330 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Veeam Logoby timmi2704 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:11 am

I think we have a misunderstanding here :) This is not a Veeam limitation. Sorry for my bad explanation.

Indeed, the deduplication appliance presents NFS share which are set up as a repository.
The appliance itself limits write access, when nearing full capacity.

So my feature request is about having a quota option for repositories or SOBR extends in general.
timmi2704
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby Shestakov » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:40 am

I believe it`s better to get everything working and showing correct free space results to avoid the issues like yours. I`ll talk to developers and support engineers about your case, thanks for providing the case number!
Shestakov
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby timmi2704 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:52 am

Hi Nikita, were you able to find out, whether this is something the developers look into?
Many thanks!
timmi2704
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby Shestakov » Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:45 pm

Hi Timo,
There is a number of SOBR-related bugs fixed in the upcoming product version. One of the main issues was with Exagrid repositories, but as I understood you had a problem with Quantum appliance.
I`ve reviewed your support cases and it looks like they were closed because of no response from your side.
Thanks!
Shestakov
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby timmi2704 » Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:47 am

Nikita, 01834133 was still open. A new SR has been opened which will only take care of the above mentioned problem: 01896061.
timmi2704
Enthusiast

[MERGED] Feature request - rebalance Scale-out Repository

Veeam Logoby allankjaer » Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:49 pm

When using Scale-out Repository in Location mode, have I seen that one of the extends is getting out of disk space, and when this happens it will be nice to rebalance the backup data on to the other extends.

I think that it could move some VM backup chains to others extends, maybe also as a preventive maintenance, when a extend is below x GB or x%.
allankjaer
Influencer

Liked: never
Full Name: Allan Kjaer

Veeam Logoby Shestakov » Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:38 pm

Thanks for the feedback, Allan
As mentioned above, you can use VeeamONE alarms to be notified when backup repository reaches the defined threshold.
Shestakov
Veeam Software

Return to Veeam Backup & Replication