Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
DaveWatkins
Veteran
Liked: 97 times

Feature Request: Read Only Proxies

Post by DaveWatkins »

Hi

I'd like to request either a setting, or automatic detection, for Direct SAN connected proxies to be able to mark them Read-Only, so restores are never attempted through them. We have our Direct SAN proxies all with only read access to our LUN's, but whenever we try to do a restore it defaults to using those proxies (we also have Hot-Add proxies available for restores/replication).

Thanks
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Re: Feature Request: Read Only Proxies

Post by DGrinev »

Hi Dave,

Thank you for the feature request!
Let's look at the demand for this feature, as it's the first time requested.
Btw, have you seen that a Proxy server can be selected in the Restore Wizard?
DaveWatkins
Veteran

Post by DaveWatkins »

Yup, and that's how we use them, it's just one more training step that's often missed for new people and the result is incomplete restores. I'm aware the demand is probably fairly small but it's a pain point so I thought I'd suggest it. Even something as simple as B&R detecting that the restore is failed because the proxy can't write to the LUN and trying to use a different proxy would be fine. Currently you end up with failed restores that never complete.

Even trying to manually stop the session just ends up in a locked up session and locked VM and backup files. The only way I've been able to clear that state is a reboot/restart of the Veeam services, which is obviously pretty painful. Even a cleaner failure mode would be preferable, but yeah, ideally something that is either a checkbox, or a detection routing when adding a proxy to be able to specify read only proxies
MariusN
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Marius Neumann

Post by MariusN »

Upvote for this request! +1 :-)
nitramd
Veteran
Liked: 85 times

Post by nitramd »

+1 for this FR
DaveWatkins
Veteran

Post by DaveWatkins »

After having posted this, it's occurred to me it would be useful to be able to mark proxies and write only too. In my case our HotAdd proxies are only used for restores (and provisioned as such) and it would be very nice to be able to mark them write only so they aren't used by backup jobs at all. Currently I have to set proxies manually per job to stop them being used. This is also done so when we go to do a restore, we know we're not going to have to wait for a proxy to come free that's in use for backups/replication